Winchester M70 long range

Last time I called trigger tech, about 4 months ago, they told me that they had no plans to design a trigger for the FN model 70; that was the second time I had asked them in the last 4 years. My experience with their triggers so far has not been that great, not sayin their triggers are bad, but I have 2 of them, one installed on a model 7 and the other removed from a model 700. The one installed on the model seven lends to difficult cocking, and the other was installed on a model 700 and never did work correctly, nor did the warrantied replacement they sent me. They told my action was out of spec. I understand that may be true, but other trigger designs lend to reliability by sear adjustments that compensate for this. That particular 700 now wears a Jewel, and it works just fine.
You'll find those triggers to be highly adjustable unless they've changed since I bought my all weathers.

Are you thinking perhaps Pre-64? I know the Win control feed aka Pre-64 clone... I think came along again in 2006 with FN... my rifle was a Post before 2006, a push feed. Maybe I'm mistaken just asking. Cheers
The "Classic" action came around in the eighties. The first Model 70 I remember with it was the Laredo but my sharpshooters have the same action with fully adjustable triggers along with my other classics produced later.

You'll find those triggers to be highly adjustable unless they've changed since I bought my all weathers.
The trigger on the FN model 70s, made first in the North Carolina Plant, then parts sourced in the USA shipped and made in Portugal, do not have the older style trigger of the post 64 models. The older trigger is easily adjustable and also easy to replace springs on. The new Model 70s have a newly designed MOA trigger that is in my opinion junk. Only Timney is making a replacement for it; no one else at this time.

The trigger on the FN model 70s, made first in the North Carolina Plant, then parts sourced in the USA shipped and made in Portugal, do not have the older style trigger of the post 64 models. The older trigger is easily adjustable and also easy to replace springs on. The new Model 70s have a newly designed MOA trigger that is in my opinion junk. Only Timney is making a replacement for it; no one else at this time.
All I know is the one in my Extreme weather I found to be more than acceptable with a little work.

All I know is the one in my Extreme weather I found to be more than acceptable with a little work.
Yes sir, I guess calling them junk might have been a little harsh, however the work it took me to get mine to an acceptable level required custom ordering of springs and stoning inside surfaces. And while that can turn out well, it doesn't always.
Some people really like them as they are, and some break lower and crisper than others. Personally, I like my hunting triggers around 2lbs or so and was not able to get that out of the MOA trigger, which I believe your EW model might have but I don't know.

After saying all that way I really like the feel of their trigger but wish it was able to be adjusted to a lower weight of pull from out of the box. But then I would have to figure out something to spend 150-$300 on ha ha.

My experience with FN made M70's has been positive, though I don't have direct experience with the LR model specifically. It looks like a solid rifle, here would be my thoughts, some of which have already been mentioned:

1. Replace the trigger. Timney is pretty much the only game in town. They aren't TT, but still perfectly functional.

2. B&C stocks leave a bit to be desired. I don't know if they have improved their manufacturing process in the past decade, but I would say they fall behind a lot of the other big name competitors on the market. Like the Timney, there is nothing specifically wrong, there are just better options out there, but it will be harder to find replacements due to the M70 action.

3. Barrels and re-barreling are harder than your average 700 or pre-fit ready clone. If this is something that needs to be done in the future then you may have to a hunt a little more to find a gunsmith that is set up/willing to do it.

4. Winchester bolt handles are really small. I know its a hunting rifle, and they are made that way to not catch on brush, but I ended up having mine chopped and threaded. To me it made a huge difference, but I was using the gun for more long range target shooting.

5. Ditch the radial brake for something real.

Overall, I think Winchesters are best if you plan to buy them and pretty much leave them stock and just shoot them. The trigger upgrade I feel is necessary, but otherwise it will shine just being left alone. If you plan to customize things in the future, then there are other actions with better aftermarket support. If you want to just buy it and run into the woods then they are great rifles.

I have a Featherweight 270 WSM from 2003. Made in New Haven, CT. It shot OK from factory but improved greatly after my gunsmith cut a recessed target crown in the factory barrel, bedded it with Acraglass bedding just forward of the chamber and installed a new trigger (forgotten which brand, but it is good). Now it shoots 1/3 MOA and has for years.

The most improvement you can get out of the walnut featherweight stocked Model 70 comes out of the way you bed it right at the chamber and let the barrel be free floated the rest of the way. I tried the longer bedding but kept grinding it off until I started to shoot 0.72" groups at 200. I stopped grinding right there and haven't touched it since. It still shoots the same.

Attachments

• tenpoint.jpg
    tenpoint.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20161121_090002305.jpg
    IMG_20161121_090002305.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Yes sir, I guess calling them junk might have been a little harsh, however the work it took me to get mine to an acceptable level required custom ordering of springs and stoning inside surfaces. And while that can turn out well, it doesn't always.
Some people really like them as they are, and some break lower and crisper than others. Personally, I like my hunting triggers around 2lbs or so and was not able to get that out of the MOA trigger, which I believe your EW model might have but I don't know.

After saying all that way I really like the feel of their trigger but wish it was able to be adjusted to a lower weight of pull from out of the box. But then I would have to figure out something to spend 150-$300 on ha ha.
I just lapped the big parts, clipped a little off of the spring and adjusted the screws. The result was a crisp 1.5lbs trigger with zero creep.

That was when I was recovering from one of my major surgeries, so I had lots of time on my hands.

I have a Featherweight 270 WSM from 2003. Made in New Haven, CT. It shot OK from factory but improved greatly after my gunsmith cut a recessed target crown in the factory barrel, bedded it with Acraglass bedding just forward of the chamber and installed a new trigger (forgotten which brand, but it is good). Now it shoots 1/3 MOA and has for years.

The most improvement you can get out of the walnut featherweight stocked Model 70 comes out of the way you bed it right at the chamber and let the barrel be free floated the rest of the way. I tried the longer bedding but kept grinding it off until I started to shoot 0.72" groups at 200. I stopped grinding right there and haven't touched it since. It still shoots the same.
I've learned model 70's seem to love to be bedded right under the chamber and in the lug area, pillars floating and that's about it.