Winchester M70 long range

I've learned model 70's seem to love to be bedded right under the chamber and in the lug area, pillars floating and that's about it.
Yes, it is simple and works great. Model 70 is easy and inexpensive to improve. Can't speak for synthetic but that is what works for Featherweight. Wouldn't be surprised if it works for Classic walnut too.

Just got a couple of these springs to try out

T.P.

Yes, it is simple and works great. Model 70 is easy and inexpensive to improve. Can't speak for synthetic but that is what works for Featherweight. Wouldn't be surprised if it works for Classic walnut too.
The Winchester mod 70 , The rifleman's rifle. When win started building the post 64 things went South , now it's Rem 700 clones , life goes on .

The Winchester mod 70 , The rifleman's rifle. When win started building the post 64 things went South , now it's Rem 700 clones , life goes on .
The classic is making a strong comeback. The problem is that the pre-64's when you can find them in good shape are getting ridiculously overpriced. It may change in a year or two but the premium people were willing to pay for the classic's produced in New Haven got pretty stupid for a while too.

The Portugal made "classics" though seem to at least be back to NH quality.

Lot of overblown talk about pre-64 Model 70's. Are they more "classic"? Sure. Are they more accurate?
It may be more likely the post 64 CRF Model 70's are more accurate.
You can't believe anything until you see shots on targets.

The classic is making a strong comeback. The problem is that the pre-64's when you can find them in good shape are getting ridiculously overpriced. It may change in a year or two but the premium people were willing to pay for the classic's produced in New Haven got pretty stupid for a while too.

The Portugal made "classics" though seem to at least be back to NH quality.
I picked up a pre 64 mod 70 270 for my grandson that looks brand new for 600 bucks last summer . I've restored a lot of rifles and this one looks original , but my commonsense tell me better . I bought it anyway , if it's not a shooter it will get a new barrel original or not .

Lot of overblown talk about pre-64 Model 70's. Are they more "classic"? Sure. Are they more accurate?
It may be more likely the post 64 CRF Model 70's are more accurate.
You can't believe anything until you see shots on targets.
Have you ever shot one , I have a custom stocked 270 that I inherited from my dad and it is unbelievable accurate with factory ammo . It seems too shoot about anything .

Have you ever shot one , I have a custom stocked 270 that I inherited from my dad and it is unbelievable accurate with factory ammo . It seems too shoot about anything .
I'm open to seeing some of your target results from your Dad's model 70. I would like to see more Model 70 targets old and new.

As much fun as it has been to shoot 1/3 MOA at 200 and 300 yards with my Featherweight, I am saving the rest of that load for critters only. After confirming it so many times, it wasteful to do it anymore. Especially when it is such short supply. Even with my Sauer rifles, further testing now is just wasting good ammo. I tend to overtest anyway. Time to just hunt 😀

I picked up a pre 64 mod 70 270 for my grandson that looks brand new for 600 bucks last summer . I've restored a lot of rifles and this one looks original , but my commonsense tell me better . I bought it anyway , if it's not a shooter it will get a new barrel original or not .
Run the serial number and remove all doubt.

Narrowing down what you have is actually more complicated than most would think.

There are actually 4 versions, the true "Pre 94", the "Classic, the XTR and XTR sporter.

I can't remember the years offhand but there was even one of what looked to be a push feed version, lacking the big claw extractor but in fact it's still a CRF lacking same.

I'm no expert, I just love the Classic and Pre War versions. I had a couple of bad experiences with the guns made in the in between years and never went back to those lacking that big ugly Mauser type extractor.

PP/CRF-I own one but prefer CRF. New Haven M70 Classics and M70 FNs(Utah) are all CRFs from what I've seen. When buying used, I always ask for a picture of the bolt now to confirm. Serial numbers are all over the place w/ the G series and pre G.

Run the serial number and remove all doubt.

Narrowing down what you have is actually more complicated than most would think.

There are actually 4 versions, the true "Pre 94", the "Classic, the XTR and XTR sporter.

I can't remember the years offhand but there was even one of what looked to be a push feed version, lacking the big claw extractor but in fact it's still a CRF lacking same.

I'm no expert, I just love the Classic and Pre War versions. I had a couple of bad experiences with the guns made in the in between years and never went back to those lacking that big ugly Mauser type extractor.
It's all original , but the bluing is perfect , if it has been reblued , who ever did it was a master , absolutely no slurring of the letters if it was repolished . Ive been around some of the best gun bluers in the day and I honestly can't tell , but it really dosnt matter it's a perfect pre 64 mod 70 ,it is a later one.

It's all original , but the bluing is perfect , if it has been reblued , who ever did it was a master , absolutely no slurring of the letters if it was repolished . Ive been around some of the best gun bluers in the day and I honestly can't tell , but it really dosnt matter it's a perfect pre 64 mod 70 ,it is a later one.
It's a real gem then.

I'm still deciding on a couple of pre 64 actions to build a couple of customs on but the original magnum bolt faced actions were few and far between and scarce these days so they are priced accordingly.