Winchester Gunsmithing

etisll40

I see a few 2002 Model 70 Winchester, 7WSM on Gunbroker and was thinking that I might buy one. Can these be made to shoot (trued) trigger work, new barrel, maybe a stock too?

Or should I buy a Remington if I see one. Any real difference?

I've seen them in the $400 range, Shadow version, originally sold by Walmart, blind magazine.

Thanks,
Ed

I see a few 2002 Model 70 Winchester, 7WSM on Gunbroker and was thinking that I might buy one. Can these be made to shoot (trued) trigger work, new barrel, maybe a stock too?

Or should I buy a Remington if I see one. Any real difference?

I've seen them in the $400 range, Shadow version, originally sold by Walmart, blind magazine.

Thanks,
Ed

There is nothing wrong with the Winchesters, Its just easier to accurize a Remington and there
many more parts available for them.

Stocks can be a problem if you want something special.

If you don't have a preference get the Remington. For around $450.00 you can find a BDL.

J E CUSTOM

I sent my Winchester off to GA Precision for a 7wsm build. You can get your stock from Manners, I ordered their T3 and your bottom metal from CDI if you want to shoot a mag feed. Winchesters are a little more work, their 3 position safety are better than Rem safety's and once finished they'll shoot every bit as good as any custom built on a Rem action.

Ted at Teds custom shop in Weatherford Ok. is building mine. I prefer Winchester over Rem mostly for the integrated recoil lugg, & 3 position safety.
Ted likes working on both, as do most smiths. JE, Ted, Jim etc. Pick a few LRH sponsor smiths, & talk to each of them. You'll know when you have the one that fits your needs.

A lot of smiths don't work on Winchesters. But, you only need one smith (if that).

There are more choices for Rem 700 parts. But, there are still plenty available for Win 70 that are as good as anything for Rem 700.

You might look at the Win 70 Coyotes. I don't have one, but I've heard lots of good about them.

Depending on your objective, you may not even need a smith.

I prefer the M70. But, I now lean towards 700's because I've had excellent results with custom actions e.g. Stiller. Many of these are 700 clones allowing me to interchange parts and accessories.

Few (if any) custom actions are M70 clones.

-- richard

I do like Remington Clones and I have a Stiller Predator that my 7stw was built upon. I'd buy another Stiller any day of the week. I'm not sold on Remington though, not sure why though. I have a 338 Lapua built on one that's fantastic! Go figure. I bought a 7wsm M70 and 'm waiting for it to arrive. It is the 2004-2006 magnum short action that is CRPF. I believe this to be the best Winchester M70 if you want Rem 700 push feed with claw control and extraction. I'll see!!! I can compare it to my Rem 700 and then i'll give you my opinion. It's not very valuable though. My opinion that is... Except I'm usually objective and reasonably intelligent.

Currently, I'm most interested in 3 projects, this is one of them. the other 2 are a custom Ruger No 1 in 300 Weatherby and probably a 35 Whelen on a new FN Mauser 1950 Commercial action. it has the full "C" bolt face. Fairly rare action to find, maybe one of the strongest Mauser actions ever made I hear. Certainly worthy for a 35 Whelen build. Fun projects. The 7 wsm may need nothing if it shoots. At that point I may later turn it into a custom something, for now, a whitetail and hog gun.

One can modify a Rem700 to try to bring it up to Win M70 standards:
1) Glue a shroud to the receiver to get a flat receiver bottom to resist bullet twist torque.
2) Get a Sako extractor modification to replace weak extractor with a bigger extractor.
3) Safety blocks trigger, not firing pin..... Gentry 3 position safety on firing pin
4) Recoil lug not attached... drill lug and receiver and then pin together.
5) Barrel may shake loose, apply glue. Vaughn also has proposed Rem700 design change.
6) Bolt handle soldered on and will break off, TIG weld on handle stronger
7) Not controlled feed... no cure
8) Plunger ejector instead of knife blade ejector... no cure
9) Failed case head shoots shooter in the eye with gas... wear eye protection

Great suggestions thank you. Most of this rem 700 stuff does add to a better rem 700. There's no perfect action, rem 700, win 70 pre and post, each have their place and can be improved I'd guess. The post 64 win in many ways added rem 700 features and gunsmiths add better extraction to push feed with Sako addition too. I've often wondered that the Sako extraction mod to he rem 700 ( it has to weaknen the action? ) Both from metal removal and stressing the bolt? Most say no it doesn't, your opinion on that please comment.

Interesting development recently, Sako's new gun that is a 3 barrel switch gun, 308, 300wm and 338 lapua, they now have large over sized DUAL extractors. Seems awesome as a design element.

That may be the action of the future.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.