Winchester brass good enough or not worth it?

I just weighed some 2x fire 7 wsm win brass and over 10 pieces I found a difference of 3.4gr and if I take out the highest one then the difference is only 2.5gt

Found a good deal on some Winchester brass and there's a couple bags available at my sportsman's warehouse. I normally use Norma brass but it is extremely hard to come by right now. Anyone have thoughts on the Winchester bag of brass? Primer pocket issues with higher pressure loads? Bad accuracy? These will mostly be used for hunting loads.
I use Winchester brass for 22-250,243,270wsm,338/300win, with success

I should have added that My 270 Win Hunting loads, I hold the Difference in case weight to 3/10ths of a grain, for Hunting Loads. So I have Blue boxes for 20 to 30 cases of 186.0 to 186.3 then I86.4 to 186 .9 ect. I have .270 Win cases in the 184.0 to 184.9 range: the 185.0 to 185.9 range : the 186 .0 to 186.9 range, and even some orphans in the 187 and 188 case range. This is big spread , I think. Each range has its own Blue box, Of Course I don't like that , I have similar issues within the slightly heavier Remington cases , as well as even heavier Federal cases. Regardless of brand, I still do all the steps I mentioned in my last post in this thread. I expect to get only between 4 to 6 Loads per batch. I keep my load the same until I use Brass that is in the 187.0 to 188.0 gran range , then I reduce it slightly . In my ignorance, I do not know know the benefit of more expensive , heavier Brass. To be clear, in 25 plus years of loading I have never had any negative issue with the cheaper Win Brass in 270 Win. for Hunting loads, in my rifles or my friends . Perhaps the better heavier Brass would allow for more reloading's per case???

I should have added that My 270 Win Hunting loads, I hold the Difference in case weight to 3/10ths of a grain, for Hunting Loads. So I have Blue boxes for 20 to 30 cases of 186.0 to 186.3 then I86.4 to 186 .9 ect. I have .270 Win cases in the 184.0 to 184.9 range: the 185.0 to 185.9 range : the 186 .0 to 186.9 range, and even some orphans in the 187 and 188 case range. This is big spread , I think. Each range has its own Blue box, Of Course I don't like that , I have similar issues within the slightly heavier Remington cases , as well as even heavier Federal cases. Regardless of brand, I still do all the steps I mentioned in my last post in this thread. I expect to get only between 4 to 6 Loads per batch. I keep my load the same until I use Brass that is in the 187.0 to 188.0 gran range , then I reduce it slightly . In my ignorance, I do not know know the benefit of more expensive , heavier Brass. To be clear, in 25 plus years of loading I have never had any negative issue with the cheaper Win Brass in 270 Win. for Hunting loads, in my rifles or my friends . Perhaps the better heavier Brass would allow for more reloading's per case???
The Lapua brass isn't necessarily heavier just more consistent in weight but stronger in the crtical areas Webb shoulder etc . What brought the inconveniences of win brass too my attention was when testing for pressure reloading for my 25-284 necking down the 284 win using win brass the heavier brass up too 15 grs diff was causing me to pressure out early changed too Lapua brass necking down 6.5- 284 brass absolutely a world of diff

Brass sold under the Winchester name is very serviceable. If they are large bags I'd say get it just because. I do that just to get alot of brass from the same lot number. It will require you to do your due diligence prepping. Many times their necks are not round, check the primer holes also. I prep them like they have been fired. Polish. Full length size with de-primer. Measure length of all, trim if necessary. I will check the neck thickness and ream if necessary. In that order. I bought fifteen 100round bags once at a gun show. only 3 cases went into the scrap bucket.

I use Winchester brass in my 204 ruger. I had good luck it. Opened 2 new bags when i got the rifle. Still reloading the same brass. But i have 6 bags stuck back. I have loaded it in 204, 223 ,22 250, 243, 25 06, 270, 280, 30 06, and 7mm mag. No iusse on any of them.

I honestly think Winchester bagged brass is what Q.C. decided not to use on their own ammo. That being said, primer pockets on the Winchester brass I had was durable. I had to do extensive sorting. I didn't anneal back then but i do believe that after the sorting, it would have been decent brass if the necks had been annealed & mandrel sized.

I bought 150 pieces of the older blue bag Winchester in 300 WM. Had to deburr the flash holes and neck turn brass the brass but I was able to get decent loads using H1000 and 200 grain ELDX bullets. Primer pockets are definitely not as nice as Lapua.

Attachments

• 20210809_180552.jpg
    20210809_180552.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 56