Winchester Accubond CT vs Nosler Accubond

Eddie Peterson

Aren't these suppose to be the same bullet. Looking at the 2.77 rounds and the bullet coefficients are different in the 140 grain.

I think they are the same just with a different tip color and moly coated.

I have used these in my 7 WSM and found them to perform well.

J E CUSTOM

It's not moly. It's a proprietary coating called Lubalox. Seems to me it just makes them black. Same bullet. mtmuley

Thanks for all that replied. I went as far as emailing Winchester to ask this question. If they respond I will post it here as well. Thanks

I have a question for those who shoot this bullet. Does your barrel ever come fully clean? My barrel will seem clean, then if you run a brush down the bore the next patch will be black.

Yes mine comes perfectly clean. I use boretech eliminator till nothing comes on patch. Then brush it with nylon brush and patch it again always comes clean.

I have used butch's, frog lube, and a bronze brush. It has never come fully clean after it is brushed 3-5 passes. I get all of the copper out but not the black- grey color. Does anyone have ideas why? I always thought it was because of the bullet coating. Any help appreciated.

My experience with moly or other coated has been about the same as others, It does build up over time and requires extra cleaning at times.
It does seem to increase velocity though.

When it does not want to be removed, I have found that going to non coted bullets will take care of it and the barrel will return to normal.

The rifles that prefer this type of bullet, get cleaned more often and can be controlled this way. I have moly coted barrel bores to slow fouling and it works exceptionally well on muzzle loaders to give you many more shots before powder fouling starts hindering loading. IT also works well on big bore rifles that solids are used.

Coted bullets have there place and can be beneficial if used in some applications. I find no accuracy advantage with coated bullets and in some cases less accuracy seems to be the trend.

If the coted bullets work well in your rifle, stay with them and just be aware that they need to be cleaned more often.

Just My experience's with the coted bullets.

J ECUSTOM

I think he is on to something. I don't run very many rounds through mine before cleaning so I may not get build up. I run a dry patch through at the beginning of season to make sure barrel is clear and remove oil. Fire a few shots to foul then use it all season. At the end I clean it well and oil the bore then put it up. So I don't get more than 30 rounds before it's cleaned usually.

This is the reply I received from Winchester on this matter. Thought I would share. Thanks

Question:
I'm looking at the 270 wsm Winchester I the 140 Accubond CT. The bullets are suppose to be Nosler Accubond bullets but your bullet coefficient is lower than advertised than on the Nosler website. What is the reasoning for this difference? Thanks Eddie

Answer:
Eddie,

The BC of the bullet loaded in our Accubond CT line for this caliber is .472. Our bullet is the Accubond CT, the Accubond that Nosler sells is slightly different.

Best Regards,

Technical Services Dept.

Recent Posts