200 Nosler Accubond vs. a cow elk

Ankeny

I went out yesterday afternoon to get some meat for the freezer. I live about an hour from where I hunt elk. The terrain is tall grass mixed with sage where it's flat, with deep and steep boulder strewn canyons surrounding the basins.

So I totally blow a sneak on 16 elk and they bust across the basin to join up with a herd of 175-200 elk feeding out on a hillside. I walk the hour and a quarter back to the truck, drive into the basin, stash the truck, then creepy crawl up to a ridge where I can shoot across a canyon at this big fat cow. OK, she was the nearest critter. The range is 487 yards. A little cranking on the turrets and I am good to go. The sage and grass is too high for prone and too high for "conventional sitting" so I put the bipod (medium height Harris) on my toes. Not the best but you do what you can. Blam, the elk lurches forward then takes off like a bat out of Hades followed by that familiar whack sound. The cow goes behind a little ridge with 50-60 other elk. All of the elk that reappear seem to be traveling well so I figure the cow either expired or layed down behind the ridge.

I don't have a lot of time before dark, but I wait a reasonable amount of time then down the hill, across the dry creek bed, up the other hill, and around the ridge. The elk is down looking the other way. I sit down to finish the task and the cow gets up and starts trotting off like nothing was out of the ordinary. She comes to a stop quartering away and I torch one off with the cross hairs right behind the front shoulder. She turns broadside and looks at me like I am retarded. She takes a few steps towards the coulee from hell and by now I have had enough of this business so I body slam her through both front shoulders and down she goes. The range was about 150 yards for each finishing shot. I field dressed the elk and headed for home.

This morning a friend and myself went back to retrieve the elk and I surveyed the damages a bit more closely. I was kind of suprised. I am shooting a .30-.338 launching the 200 Accubond at 2950 fps. I love this load for it's accuracy, but this is the first big game animal I have taken with the load. I switched to the Accubond from the Partition for the higher BC.

The first bullet entered mid-way between the last rib and the front leg. Just about right from front to back, but a bit too low striking about 5 inches above the brisket. The bullet dead centered a rib, blew a huge hole, fragmented, and part of it turned and went through the diaphram nicking a gut. There was no sign of the bullet or any part of the bullet hitting the off side of the body cavity.

Bullet number two entered behind the front shoulder and hit a rib blowing a huge entrance hole. A couple of fragments barely made it into the off side of the chest cavity. The cow was dead on her feet with this shot. The third shot hit the shoulder dead center, traveled through the shoulder and into the body cavity with what was left of the bullet penetrating about an inch into the off side shoulder.

I am a huge fan of Nosler bullets and I really hate to judge a bullet's performance by one experience, but holy crapola, any premium bullet should have sailed right on through the cow on all three shots. I am going to call Nosler on Monday and have a chat with a techinician. Any ideas here?

Well.....Good goin' .....Meat for the freezer.

I went out this morning and all I got was WET!

Now that's the kind of detail on bullet performance I like to hear. To bad it wasn't all that great of performance. The bullet shouldn't have acted that way at that velocity, I wouldn't think.

Good reporting. Thanks

I think a hornady interlock would have done better. Sorry, but I'm losing faith in all plastic tipped bullets. The sst turned the interlock into a ballistic tip....or worse.
I'm thinking good old lead tipped bullets are still THE OLD RELIABLE and still champ for on game performance.

Congrats on a successfull hunt!

Often times hunters expect that their bullets should pass through their game and if they dont they think something is wrong with the bullet or something. The thing is, is if you want complete pass throughs then shoot a FMJ. When a bullet doesnt pass through, espescially a premium bullet at high velocity it ussually meens that most of the energy that bullet was transfered to the animal and that is not a bad thing.

I had no problem getting 200 Nosler accubonds to pass completely through a big bull moose this year at 650 yards through the ribs and shoulders. The differance here is that at 650 yards the bullet has had adequete time to stabilize perfectly and go to sleep. If your shots were under 300 yards and werent perfectly stable yet, then they most likely wont pass through as there is an ever so slight amount of wobble. With this wobble, the bullets will stop much faster than if it were smooth sailing. I have seen guys shoot completely through a bull moose with a 30-06 and a Nosler Partition and have seen guys shoot bulls at 35 yards with a 300 Win mag using partitions and the bullet stoped in the hide in the offside.

Hope that helps. Again congrats on a good hunt!

[ QUOTE ]
Often times hunters expect that their bullets should pass through their game and if they dont they think something is wrong with the bullet or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

So having three bullets come unglued on the same critter is normal? I have been fortunate enough to shoot over 30 elk and I have never witnessed this kind of performance. I am betting there is something wrong here.

Awesome bullet performance! Was that your 10 or 12 twist 30-338 that you used? Doug.

Total fragmentation. Considering the range and the size of the elk, I would have expected double the penetration or a pass through. The guys at the processing plant concur as do the guys who have seen the carcass first hand. When a 200 grainer leaving at 2950 won't even make it through the body cavity to the other side, I question what's going on. For this to happen three times on the same elk? How many of you guys would like to have a bullet hit the shoulder of a 400 point B&C bull elk and only penetrate 8 inches? I am not bashing Nosler, I am just really taken back by this performance. I am into the bone crushing, deep penetration, with adequate expansion school of terminal ballistics. I guess I was asleep when the hit a bone and explode line of thought developed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I went out this afternoon to do some shooting to validate the dope I am getting out of Exbal. I was shooting from the same box of ammo that I used on my elk. I bumped one of the rounds on the front of the receiver and the white tip (they are Accubond not Ballistic tips) broke off and fell into the magazine. When I got home I dumped the remaining rounds from the factory box on the bench and behold, two bullets had the tip busted off even with the jacket, and the tips were in the bottom of the box. I'll bet the folks at Nosler will be ultra ****ed to find out a bad batch of bullets hit the market. I'll let you know what they have to say tomorrow.

I have had one out of 150 of the 150 gr AB do the same thing. Looks like you got a whole bunch of them vs my one. I'm sure they will work with you, or I should say, They better work with you.

I had quite the conversation with the head technician at Nosler about the Accubond bullet. First off, Nosler has had a few isolated problems with the plastic tips breaking off, or more correctly, just falling off flush with the jacket. The core is soldered onto the jacket. In some cases, if the flux is not completely washed out, the flux will attack the plastic tip and the tip will break away only to be found in the bottom of the box.

I described the three impacts on my cow elk and the approximate yardages of the shots. I also told the technician that I understand anything is possible in the world of terminal ballistics. Long story short, it is the opinion of the Nosler technician that given the distances, type of animal, and velocity of the bullet, all three of the bullets should have passed right on through. I will be receiving a couple of boxes of bullets and a report of their media testing with bullets pulled at random from the same lot. On the surface, it appears the core and jacket did not bond. They are not taking this incident lightly and thier concern is evident. Obviously, this is a great company to do business with. I am getting way under MOA accuracy out to as far as I have validated the trajectory model (800 yards). I sure would hate to give up on the bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.