Winchester 70 post 64 ejector

Coldfinger

Is it possible to wear out a Winchester 70 CRF blade ejector? I've noticed spent cases are hanging up in the boltface instead of being ejected out of the action. It's a short action and about 2-300 rounds through the action. Or could it be an extractor issue? It feeds and extracts normal.

Not likely. Pull your bolt back without a cartridge and make sure it protrudes enough past the bolt face. Weak spring may have it sagging low not contacting the cartridge base too. Should be up in the slot. Remove bolt and check slot for debris, gummed up?

I am with Rhett. Either weak spring, or debris. I just went and took a look on mine to make sure. If the round comes out of the chamber it is NOT the extractor. Ejector would take a life time to wear out. Spring or debris

Last edited:
It actually cost me a double on a pack of coyotes. I assumed I short stroked it but remember slamming into the bolt stop for round 2. I never noticed because deer or other critters are 1 and done and I slowly open the bolt and pick the brass out of the extractor.

Is it the same cartridge as before or did you change from say 300 WM to 6.5 PRC? And yes, cerakote is possible but slimly. Bolt cerakoted?

Okay. Just ruling out mag, follower, bolt, ejector. Gotta be short stroked or the other issues I mentioned as far as I can tell.

Back in the early 90's when Winchester re introduced the crf, I bought a super grade in .300 win mag, had an issue right out of the box, would feed fine and extract but not eject. Took the rifle to a certified Winchester gun smith and he replaced the extractor. The problem was the dimension between the bolt face and back of the extractor was to large, out of spec. After the fix, I never had an issue with it

Had a Sako Forrester that would do that many years ago . Only happened under rapid fire hunting situations. Finally figured out that when the bolt was cycled briskly in a pressure situation the ejector would bind in the slot in the bolt and not contact the spent round. It would then return the fired round to the barrel.Two seconds with a pair of pliers cured the problem.