Winchester 1885 Low Wall

98s1lightning

Anybody shooting them?

How heavy to carry in field or shoot offhand

Looking at 243, pistol grip stock, 24" octagon

How does the hammer mechanism operate in regards to loading?

Does it have 3 position hammer:

1)Fired position
2) Half cock/Safe
3) Cocked

Also wondering when you load it......does the hammer return to safe position or remained cocked and you manually lower it to safe position (like a traditional hammered lever action)

Readings verify it is 3 position traditional, BUT dual hammer springs require careful decocking

auto cocks on loading

Cited: Chuck Hawks

If you have one of these I would like to hear from you, how you like it for field use, not just off the bench

I was thinking a compact/lightweight scope. Since the octagonal bbl is going to be heavy. (Though I read its a tapered profile)

i have a browning 1885 low wall in .260, its a very nice rifle and easy to carry, very light. my only gripe is i like open sights and it doesn't have them, 140,s at 2650 fps kill deer very well.
DSCN1017 (2).JPG
DSCN1020 (2).JPG

compact 2-7x leupold, the browning 1885 low wall in .260 was a low number production and quite hard to find now and costly to boot. adding sights would kills it,s value. i may add a early 4x long tubed leupold for more eye relief.

Yes it has a slight half cock. Manual drop to safe. Thumb and trigger after loading. Mine is a 405 Winchester. 250 Hammer Shock Hammer @ 2240. Will go faster, but I don't want the recoil. Other rifle is a Browning B78 in 25-06. Has a adjustment slot to either catch the spent case or eject it out. They are superbly accurate, no harm attaching a scope. My 25-06 shoots 92 grain Hammer Hunter bullets at 3470. Stone cold killer.

Attachments

• IMG_20240229_085701.jpg
    IMG_20240229_085701.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20240229_085030.jpg
    IMG_20240229_085030.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
One more thing, the .260 is a High Wall. Low walls are chambered in pistol class cartridges. My B78 is a High wall, but slightly different design, as well as the .405. The .405 has taken every African game animal. Teddy Roosevelt's favorite lion gun. Yep, its heavy, I carry it on my shoulder by the barrel as done in Africa, if you must sling it go barrel down or it will never stay on your shoulder. You will fall in love with them. Good luck. Rosebud!

Last edited:
Though there is a lever used, these are falling block actions, the sharps rifle used it, Ruger used it, Winchester and Browning as well. They are stronger than any bolt action when in the High Wall configuration. No bolt, no lugs, case surrounded by steel. The modern ones made today are incredibly strong. And the Japanese know how to make them. Teaching a kid to shoot knowing they have one shot to get it done is a great teacher.