Winchester 1885 Low Wall

I have a Miroku reproduction Winchester High Wall (I know the original questions was about Low Walls) in .325 WSM. Beautiful gun with a 28" barrel, and it shoots 3/4" 5-shot groups with factory ammo. I bought it with visions of elk hunting. But, it is quite heavy, and so I have never taken it into the field. Every couple of years I see it sitting in the gun safe, see what a beautiful gun it is, and think "maybe it is not really that heavy . . .?" I then heft the gun and immediately put it back on the rack thinking, "man that thing is heavy!" It sure would be cool to take a nice elk with it, though.

Last edited:
I have a Miroku reproduction Winchester High Wall (I know the original questions was about Low Walls) in .325 WSM. Beautiful gun with a 28" barrel, and it shoots 3/4" 5-shot groups with factory ammo. I bought it with visions of elk hunting. But, it is quite heavy, and so I have never taken it into the field. Every couple of years I see it sitting in the gun safe, see what a beautiful gun it is, and think "maybe it is not really that heavy . . .?" I then heft the gun and immediately put it back on the rack thinking, "man that thing is heavy!" It sure would be cool to take a nice elk with it, though.
I don't carry mine very far. Half mile at best, mostly less. But like Phil said, the .405 thumps things on the spot. I also have some 300 Hornady bullets loaded, the 250 hammer is easier on my old shoulders. But hits like a truck on the interstate.

I've got a .405 Win also.
It stomps both ways, think it uses 300gr bullets.
I've found some .411 230 grain cast bullets with a gas check from rim rock bullets. I'm going to load down to about1500 FPS to play with. They also make a 265 hard cast that would be a good hunting bullet. I've tried shooting 411 cast bullets without a gas check. Thumbs down on that.

my browning low wall in .260 is factory original, bought brand new by me. serial number is 16328 NP 371, code no. 03700224S, it came it its factory marked box with all paper work. it was also made in .22 hornet-- .223 and .243 winchester from 1995-2001 i have a high wall1885 limited series short hunter in 45-70, one of 401 made and their is no mistaking one for the other.

Attachments

• DSCN1017 (2).JPG
    DSCN1017 (2).JPG
    380.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
my browning low wall in .260 is factory original, bought brand new by me. serial number is 16328 NP 371, code no. 03700224S, it came it its factory marked box with all paper work. it was also made in .22 hornet-- .223 and .243 winchester from 1995-2001 i have a high wall1885 limited series short hunter in 45-70, one of 401 made and their is no mistaking one for the other.
Yep, I see the longer frame. my bad!

Looks like quite a debacle to get a scope mounted on a 1885, that's ergonomically proper

The Talley mount looks nice compared to the Browning 2pc with front block mount

I think a forward mounts "scout" scope with long eye relief would be really sweet to get the optic away from the breech where all the hand work and business is done, loading/unloading......only problem is one would have to get the barrel drilled and tapped further forward or something along them lines.....

No scout mount available that I can find, or see how it would work

Plus the tapered barrel is tricky

I shoot a high wall 6mm creedmoor. The hammer has a half cock notch and automatically cocks on opening, you have to manually let down the hammer.
I am actually looking to add the same rifle you are to my collection, the highwall with a 28" barrel is not light but it's not overly long either. I feel the low wall at 4" shorter oal and 1lb lighter would be a peach to carry.

My 1885 highwall has earned itself a permanent spot in my safe, it's a great rifle.
IMG_1949.jpeg

What do you think about the scope being in the area that you load/unload the breech?

Get a compact scope?
Or something creative moved forward scout style.....

I was thinking of a magnified red dot, but I don't see such a thing made.
A standard red dot would be 1" both ends so really compact.....but no zoom.

I think it would be nice to have the breech area free and clear with no scope in the way

a burris fast fire 3 or 4(3moa dot) could be used with a weaver scope base, i have one on a 20 ga turkey shotgun useing vent rib mount.

What do you think about the scope being in the area that you load/unload the breech?

Get a compact scope?
Or something creative moved forward scout style.....

I was thinking of a magnified red dot, but I don't see such a thing made.
A standard red dot would be 1" both ends so really compact.....but no zoom.

I think it would be nice to have the breech area free and clear with no scope in the way
I have large fingers so I was worried about my thumb being able to fit under the scope for the hammer. But to my surprise it is quite accessible and my scope is mounted in low mounts to boot so it's not a huge issue.