Win 270 Pre 64

mrbofus

Hope this is the right spot for this,
I have recently aquired a Win Mod 70 - pre 64 270 with front and rear sights, no scope.
I plan to mount a VORTEX 4x12x42 Diamondback HP on it but am having troubles finding which scope mounts will work and still clear the rear sight.

any suggestions?

Thanks

I have the same rifle chambered in 06. The rear site folds down but if your scope of choice is 14 inches overall or less the bell of the scope should fall behind the rear sight. I think that DiamondBack is about 12.5 inches so you should be fine as far as clearing the rear site. I ran a Leupold 3.5-10x40 with low rings without a problem and it is 13 inches.

thanks,

my rear sight does not fold down.
I tried a set of Leupold mounts with medium rings and still about 1/4" off.
The rear sight is adjustable, hard to explain the proper term. maybe a picture will help,

You may have to remove the rear sight and fill the holes with plug screws. There are some high mount scope rings on the market made for using with open sites.

Steve

Possibly someone replaced the original sight with an aftermarket. Is the sight running back with a stepped ramp under? My rear sight sets right above the notch in the barrel with a built in elevation adjuster and folds down. What year is that rifle. Mine is 1960. The earlier sights might have been different.

You can remove the sight altogether. They just slip into the notch in the barrel. You can do it with a hammer and a good punch or let your smith remove it if you choose to. I would remove it to keep the scope as low as possible....good luck!

the rifle is a 1951 production.
sight is original so I am told and it does have the step up ramp.
270.jpg2707.jpg

Yep the scope will hit that. You can remove it if you choose. I dug that old barrel out and this is it and it folds down out of the road. 1960.

sight.JPG

Not a collector, and don't know if your sight is original or not. Both my 1955, pre-war version have the fold down sight.

At any rate if you need irons, and a scope your rear sight can be replaced, or removed easily.

I'm not sure why I keep mine on, can't really see them anymore.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.