Win pre 64 gibbs rifles

You might want to do the math:

QC 30 Gibbs = $39.59 for 20 = $1.98 ea
Nosler 280AI = $81.99 for 50 = $1.64 ea (in stock at Midway)

Or buy Hornady 280AI = 46.99 for 50 = $.94 ea (in stock at Midway)

Hi Turnbolt, I didn't go shopping for the best price for brass, went to Brownells and got the price from there. I was trying to make a point about expense. .280 Ackley Brass is $86.99 for 50 pcs., it is off season right now and it is available "right" now.

www.brownells.com/reloading/brass/rifle-brass/280-ackley-improved-brass-case-prod105595.aspx

It is apparent the OP wants to build a custom .280 Ackley Improved and is set on that build. I am in the process of building a .270 Ackley Improved on a Ruger 77 tang safety action. I have a safe full of Ruger 77's, I like them and "THAT" is what I wanted to do the build with to go along with what I already have. I had plenty of gunsmiths tell me that the actions required special tooling, they didn't like working on them, the actions were not heat treated properly, the actions can crack if the barrel is tightened too tight, they were tough to work on and the magazine box was very short. It didn't matter to me, my build is a Ruger 77 because that is what I was familiar with. I found a well known and well respected gunsmith who specializes in Ruger 77s and who enjoys working on them. So I understand the OP's feelings, he wants to build a .280 AI.. The pre 64 in 300 H&H on its own ought to bring a really nice price and there's always a market for the unique/wildcat ole school calibers on the GIBBS line of chamberings. If the OP is worried about a stock for the 300 H&H, right now there's one on GunBroker for $325. Mostly everything that is pre-64 model 70 is listed on GunBroker for nothing under $900. If there's no sentimental value in any of the rifles, I would suggest selling all three rifles and use the money for a build/buy of his choice. Based upon what OP has to sell, he certainly ought to have the choice of either buying or building a really nice custom rifle.

Last edited:
In case anyone wants to know more about the Gibbs cartridges, here is some good info.

And my 338 Gibbs

Attachments

• Gibbs Part 1, Chapter 1-4.pdf
    11.8 MB · Views: 316
  • Gibbs Part 1, Chapter 5-8.pdf
    9.6 MB · Views: 125
  • Gibbs Part 2, Chapter 1-4.pdf
    9.6 MB · Views: 103
  • Gibbs Part 2, Chapter 5-9.pdf
    13.3 MB · Views: 131
  • 2517.jpg
    2517.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 101
He could see if any one in the family wants to buy any of them, that way they would stay in the family and he would still get the money to build the rifle he wants. Just my thoughts. As far as caliber/cartridge goes if a .280AI is what is getting him excited then that's what he needs. We all have our favorites and many over lap in performance. A lot of time we get all worked up in what is best and what is not (me included), and it is not always that big of a deal, we're all gun guys, there all fun to shoot, so lets enjoy our fun.

The cost to rebarrel a pre 64 Win is more than a new *** costs at Wally World, plus the Win action has a 3 screw floorplate making the mag box short. Just buy a Rem standard bolt face LA with the long box they come with. Everyone makes a Rem LA stock. If you want a Win style with a long box buy a MRC 1999 long action, they do not have the middle screw. It is a combination of a Pre 64 and a 98 Mauser with all of the good points and none of the bad. I built three of these, myself, two 300 WSMs and a 458 Lott. I am pretty sure they would put together a 280 AI barreled action for you, it is easy peasy stuff.

The pre 64 actions by themselves are worth $600-800. Now, you best examine the Gibbs guns to see if you can tell whom made them. If they say R Gibbs or P Ackley on the barrel that rifle is worth several times what you may think, and it could well be, as a 1950s rifle. A fellow once showed me a pre war Win custom barred rifle that just said H Pope on the barrel, I had to do a double take, he got a great big grin on his face, the price of poker just went right through the ceiling.

Then you just sell the complete rifles except you keep the record holder. Put that Husky in the road also, unless it is the record holder.
Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.