Wilson barrel

My 12 year old Cooper LRH hunting rifle in 6.5x284 has a Wilson barrel. As mentioned, Wilson Barrels owns Cooper. With 1000 rounds it has no visible barrel wear/fire cracking, with the same BTO, and has consistently held .25 MOA accuracy with single digit SD's over all these years. I consider it one of the best barrels I've owned. The kicker is,,,If or when the barrel does finally give out, Coopers warranty claims replacement for $125! JLK Group:2010, Berger Group:2021
068185E3-943A-4DB5-8EBD-AC135CC8352B.jpeg688E1444-3B5F-4EEB-BABA-768241E93A77.jpeg30B93B9A-C89E-4698-B408-316C2F6CB830.jpeg

The kicker is,,,If or when the barrel does finally give out, Coopers warranty claims replacement for $125!
This may have changed:

The 6.5 Creedmoor I put together this summer has a 18" Wilson Combat match grade barrel that shoots consistent . 400" groups with good factory ammo. That is saying a lot for a AR platform rifle!

Are the Wilson barrels any good? Worth building a rifle with?
I have Wilson barrels on a 264 Win mag, a 240 Gibbs, and a 25-35 AI. They all shoot well and are notably easy to clean and break in. I'm not a competitive shooter, so when I can get 1/2 MOA on a regular basis from a rifle, I'm happy. Ragged Hole, where I get mine, has limited choices, but their lead time has so far been less than 2 weeks to my door

Wilson Combat and Wilson barrels are not the same. Two different companies.

I've used two Wilson barrels to do the first two barrels that came off my lathe. They were cheaper and if I screwed up I wouldn't be out as much. I was pleasantly surprised by both of them. They shoot well.

Having said all of that, resale isn't good for them. So my advice is if it's a gun you'll keep forever or on a factory action…they are great options. If you're doing a full custom, use one of the bigger names and more expensive barrels. I'd also mention…if your paying someone to chamber your barrels, use a popular barrel maker that will hold its value better. My 2 cents worth exactly what you paid for it.

Also…Wilson Combat without a doubt makes one of the best AR barrels out there.

Both Wilson companies are button barrels.

Wilson Arms of CT.
I have three of their barrels, and they are outstanding.
I can't imagine picking a barrel brand based on resale value.

Anyone know weights on these Wilson barrels? I called in yesterday and got some "estimates" that sound too good to be true. I asked about some garage sale barrels that were fluted, and would expect the flutes to only knockoff ~1/2 a pound if not less.

4.5# for a fluted LV barrel, and just over 3# on the fluted #4 sporter. Comparing to other manufacturers charts those both seem too light.

Has anyone used their carbon wrapped barrels from Raggedhole precision? Would shave 1lb off the #4 contour or so.

I can't comment on wrapping a Wilson barrel. But a few days back I found a Barrel blank I forgot I bought. Pretty sure it's a Ragged Hole barrel. Seems like I recall they make Wilson and McGowen barrels. it took me a while to remember but recall I bought it from someone on this site a few years back. I seem to recall this thread but I flat out forgot I had bought a Ragged hole Barrel Or whatever it's called. It was on top of a cabinet with other stuff in front of it. Its a SS, fluted varmint taper in 30 cal. Can't recall what I bought it for. Whatever project I was planning on building slipped my mind. I have 4 or 5 barrel action in the safe, some been there for years I haven't finished. I need to get off my *** and finish them. Some I even have stocks for. Sucks getting old lol.

I can't comment on wrapping a Wilson barrel. But a few days back I found a Barrel blank I forgot I bought. Pretty sure it's a Ragged Hole barrel. Seems like I recall they make Wilson and McGowen barrels. it took me a while to remember but recall I bought it from someone on this site a few years back. I seem to recall this thread but I flat out forgot I had bought a Ragged hole Barrel Or whatever it's called. It was on top of a cabinet with other stuff in front of it. Its a SS, fluted varmint taper in 30 cal. Can't recall what I bought it for. Whatever project I was planning on building slipped my mind. I have 4 or 5 barrel action in the safe, some been there for years I haven't finished. I need to get off my *** and finish them. Some I even have stocks for. Sucks getting old lol.
Yup they use wilson and McGowen blanks. I've emailed John asking a bout the dimensions of the carbon wrapped #4 because I want to rechamber our 700 KS Custom from 300wby to 7mm PRC. Want to keep the weight down but have a viable suppressor host. So Leaning carbon rather than a fluted #4, since they don't offer a #3.

I have two Wilson barrels, one is a 6mm xc which shoots .3 with my pet load. And I just received my 2nd that will going on my 223 Rem, I haven't shot it yet as I having some other work done on it. But was so impressed with my 6 xc that I ordered my 2nd one from them. I was planning on ordering my 223 barrel from a major name but my 6 xc changed my mind. As someone stated before me it's somewhat hard to find a Cooper rifle that doesn't shoot well.

Recent Posts