Wilson vs Redding dies, Harrel measures

COBrad

I'm purchasing dies, etc. for a Cooper 22-250. It has been suggested to me that Wilson dies are meant to be used in rifles with custom, miminum spec. chambers, and that the standard chamber in my Cooper would be just as well served by using Redding comp dies. Any thoughts? I currently use an RCBS Uniflow measure. Is this unit accurate enough to throw "target" grade charges with powders commonly used in the 22-250? Does the Harrel throw any more accurately or consistently? Thanks

I have both Wilson and Redding comp die sets. If you use the Wilson dies, you have to purchase an arbor press like Sinclair sells because the Wilson dies are not threaded. Both sets use a button to neck size which can be substituted for a different size. An advantage to the threaded die sets is leverage especially if you want to full length resize your cases. It takes a lot of force to ram a case into a FL die and pull it out and the larger the case the more force. Do you have a reloading press? Is it the threaded type? For more info on reloading go to www.sinclairintl.com.
Good Shooting,
db

I haveboth to but a set of die from Forster can do the same for less

redding and Wilson with bushing are a need when you have neck turning chamber in the aim to keep neck sizing with enought sizing effect ( several size of bushing )

seater from Forster ( ultra BR ) are very close to Redding

you probable get better accuracy with case sorting and case prep

good shooting

DAN TEC

COBRAD, My .02 worth. Do a little experiment with your measure. Throw 10-20 charges with the powder that you plan on using, and then beg burrow or steal a digital scale, and weigh them. Write down what the weights are. Next, try and be as consistant as possible. Write thoes weights down. Try and use the bang at the top method, then bang at the bottom. Point is you could already have a sweet throwing unit. If you want to spend cash by all means, a Jones or Harrels. I feel it is more your technique than who made your measure. But on the other hand I us a harrels and love it.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.