Wilson barrel

They are terrible 🤫

I can't leave ya hanging on that. I have built more than enough rifles with a Wilson barrel. Can honestly say I like them better than the big name customs right now. Every one of them during break in was shooting 1/2 MOA or better. Every one of them broke in or where broke in in around 10 rounds. Every one of them was very easy to clean with Zero copper issues. Every one of them I still use the break in loads without having to tweak them and am getting SDs under 10. I can not say the same about the two big name rifle barrel manufacturers I have from the past years. All of those where/are load picky, take lots of passes to get clean or decoppered, and where twice the money. I would say the only down fall if any so far with the Wilson is there are only a small handful of profiles available. Both their sporter and the Varmint contour have been great though. My 2 cent.

Last edited:
Please elaborate. I don't use Wilson, but had other shooters ask me about getting rifles made by Wilson. Would like some information to tell them.
Thanks
Wilson owns Cooper Firearms and they make barrels that Cooper uses. Most Coopers seem to shoot pretty good. I do know a couple local to me shooters who use them and have no complaints.

Last edited:
I've only used one, but I was impressed with it. 264 WM 1:9, on a 700 action, shot lights out with 140 Bergers.

I own 3 Cooper rifles of various ages and each one has a Wilson barrel. I carefully handload for each rifle and the average accuracy garnered from years of shooting them is: .3 moa for the 223 with Bergers; .4 moa for the 243 with Bergers; .6 moa for the 280 with Nosler ABs. My Cooper rifles are used for hunting and I find them more than adequate to handle that task. I'm not qualified to discuss the use of Wilson barrels for the benchrest crowd etc, but I'm very pleased with the 3 rifles I own.

I just received a Bullberry 264 WM barrel for my Encore, it is a Wilson blank and so far it has been great. Shooting less than moa while trying to build load with 123 gr AH and 120 TTSX, hoping more work will get to .5" range.

I have a 30 cal. Wilson I plan to do something with one of these days. Never used one. I hear more good that bad. They must shoot. I need to get it out and run my bore scope down it and see what it looks like. Not that I'll be able to tell if it will shot good or not, but still want to take a look.

I have a WOA 18" SPR barrel made from a WOA blank. It is shooting close to 1/2 moa. Load development paused due to component.

I have two Wilson barreled rifles, 6.5-06 and 6mm creed. As many mentioned above breakin is very minimal and both shoot lights out. I have been pleasantly surprised.

I've built a 300WSM with one and it shoots 1/2 MOA or better with Federal fusion ammo if I do my job. I've not hand loaded for it yet. I'm building a 6.5-284 Norma now with one of their #3 fluted contours on a Tenacity action. I've got no hesitations using them. John @ Raggedholebarrels can take care of you.