Will a drop tube change results of good load?

Jakeweb09

So I've been working a load with rl26 in my 6.5 creedmoor and have found a load that had an es of 5 and SD of 2. So obviously that's great, but I am just barely hearing a crunch when seating the bullets. I know people use drop tubes to get greater density's in their powder, but if I did use a drop tube is that gonna change my es/sd results? Ps load work isn't complete as I was shooting off of a stock that was bedded to a different rifle and was causing some issues even with loads that have been excellent in previous outings so I Have a new stock on the way and am going to bed it and redo the seating depth work on it.

So I've been working a load with rl26 in my 6.5 creedmoor and have found a load that had an es of 5 and SD of 2. So obviously that's great, but I am just barely hearing a crunch when seating the bullets. I know people use drop tubes to get greater density's in their powder, but if I did use a drop tube is that gonna change my es/sd results? Ps load work isn't complete as I was shooting off of a stock that was bedded to a different rifle and was causing some issues even with loads that have been excellent in previous outings so I Have a new stock on the way and am going to bed it and redo the seating depth work on it.
How much work would it be to load 5 of each and run the test yourself?
Then your answers become yours, not mine.

How much work would it be to load 5 of each and run the test yourself?
Then your answers become yours, not mine.

yeah that's the easiest way to find out. Just curious if anyone had tried it. I don't have a drop tube but will probably order one up soon and give it a whirl.

You will have better data if you run your own tests. I used to shoot compressed loads exclusively, no longer will I shoot one. Retaining seat depth w/o an ungodly amount of neck comes to mind.
It really should not make a huge difference.

It could make for even a more consistant load, By the bullet not crushing the powder, And bullet not moving from powder pressure and changing the ogive to rifling measurement.

To answer your question, the difference is the drop tube will lower the powder level a slight bit for bullet seating. If you use a drop tube along with a little vibration on case base and you will probably settle that powder column enough to not get the crunch at all. Electric toothbrush holder or vibrating brass cleaner either work fine. Pick up a drop tube when you get a chance, MTM makes a funnel with droptube and different diameter ends for various cartridges as a set and its inexpensive.

I will give you the simplest answer I can regarding 'packing scheme' of the powder and it's effects shot to shot.
An even fill in the case is easily achieved if you use a powder funnel and hold it such that a continuous 'tornado' of powder swirls into the case. At no time should the powder stop swirling and clump up, this defeats the purpose. A fill like this will look very even across the loading block, unlike what as dumped powder heights look like which are normally uneven.
This has halved, or even more, my ES and naturally SD numbers when the powder was more than just compressed after being dumped in the case.
Accuracy was also improved in most untuned loads, and even some borderline tuned loads.
Pressures were more uniform across the pressure trace and no unexpected pressure excursions occurred either using this method.

I think there are several YouTube videos showing this technique. It truly does work in your favour, even though it slows the loading process somewhat.

Cheers.

Crunching rl26....thats gotta be an extreme load....
Not with RL26 in a creedmoor, it's fairly common.

How much crunch are you getting? If it's just a little I probably wouldn't bother, but if your case is full to the neck shoulder junction I'd give it a go.

I spent about $4.00 at Wally World for an inexpensive ultrasonic toothbrush and turn it on and apply for about five seconds per case. l use it to "shake down" the powder level. Works like a charm for those load combinations that might compress on seating. Stick powders are the ones that need it the most.

I also use RL26 in my 6.5 Creedmoor....fill % is usually close to 100% (neck-body junction). And that is not a max load,and shows no pressure signs. I got into the habit of "swirling" the powder in the case by tilting the powder funnel. I will add, I am using this in a ar10. I get minor crunch, but these loads are incredibly accurate. I will now invest in a drop tube just cause it's an option that might increase seating space of the boat tail.....Still can't understand why RL26 isn't THE powder for heavy 6.5 bullets...I get groups in the .2 + .3s @ 100 if I don't screw it up....rsbhunter

45.0 grains is 45.0 grains

Drop tube will help settle load a bit. I usually just tap the powder pan on the funnel a few times while dumping a load, seems to have the same effect

I will give you the simplest answer I can regarding 'packing scheme' of the powder and it's effects shot to shot.
An even fill in the case is easily achieved if you use a powder funnel and hold it such that a continuous 'tornado' of powder swirls into the case. At no time should the powder stop swirling and clump up, this defeats the purpose. A fill like this will look very even across the loading block, unlike what as dumped powder heights look like which are normally uneven.
This has halved, or even more, my ES and naturally SD numbers when the powder was more than just compressed after being dumped in the case.
Accuracy was also improved in most untuned loads, and even some borderline tuned loads.
Pressures were more uniform across the pressure trace and no unexpected pressure excursions occurred either using this method.

I think there are several YouTube videos showing this technique. It truly does work in your favour, even though it slows the loading process somewhat.

Cheers.
IME this works even better than a drop tube. A little vibration settles even further (electric toothbrush). Mic McPherson goes over this in his book. I'll try and find that page. I have several funnels and one works better than the others.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts