how heavy of a bullet will shoot good?

You might get a 50gr V-max to shoot well from that but more likely the 35gr will work realy good any of the 25-40gr pills should shoot out of that gun , you just need to find what that gun likes

I'd say no heavier than a 50. Hornets aren't speed racers so rpm will be down a bit. I think the first response is spot on.

Good luck.

One more thing.

If your loading, be mindful of pressure. OLD hornets were actually done on rimfire barrel dimensions. Meaning they used the same diameter bullet as a 22lr. (.223")

New production (modern late model stuff) uses the centerfire barrels intended for .224" bullets.

If it applies, you can still use the bigger bullets in the tighter barrel (in fact, this was a trick "back in the day" when building one of these to get it to shoot better) but just be mindful that pressures are going to go up slightly for a given powder charge.

Just be careful and use good judgment.

Cheers.

Last edited:
reason I was asking is I have 600 55 grain hornady bullets

My hornet (1-12) like 35-45 the best. I have run a few 55 fmj (because I have alot of them around) through it and my groups naturally tend to be twice the size of the others. However the fox squirrels didnt like the head impacts all that well.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts