Who is loading 270 Win 7828 & Loooong Drop Tube.

royinidaho

I can't remember who you are.......

If I recall correctly some one was getting a bunch of ssc powder in the case????

I'm attempting to stuff as much of a slow burning stick powder behind a 160 class bullet in a 270 Win.

It looks like a schosie bit over 60 grains is about it with a 3 foot drop tube.:D Which by the way, seems no more effective than tapping the case to settle the powder.

I haven't shot anything heavier than a 150 gr bullet in the 270 Win so this is new territory for me.

hey man you might just be way over the line with that much powder.60.2gn is a max load with a 130gn bullet from the Hodgdon book.and 56.8gn is the max for a 150gn bullet.but this is the older 7828 powder and not the newer SSC one.but they all so state that they are both the same powder with the difference of size.

so I would watch out for pressure signs useing the ladder test before I just see what the 60gn will do.and please do not think I am calling you a dummy.just want you to be safe.

Hey roy, we're drop tubing 61 gr of 7828 into a 270 win and pushing a 130 gr boolit way fast. It crushed 4 elk this year ranges 50-435 yrds.
If we use the regular funnel we are compressing a fair bit but with the drop we do just right at full. We have some 7828 SSC just waiting to get into a 270 case for testing also.
I've seen some pretty elaborate rigs for vibrating the cases when loading black powder instead of drop tubing they both pack good but the latest good test I saw there was a definite advantage in accuracy to the drop tube, but this is in blackpowder.
I think our tube is around 20 in maybe 2 ft, it's a pain to have around the loading room but since it's dad's and we use his reloading room I can complain to bad. I can really cram a lot of Retumbo in a 270 WSM case with it! I figured it gained me about 2 grs.

I would be a little concerned about romping on it with a 160 class bullet, also.

I won't say Roy isn't missing a screw or two(because he is), be he ain't shootin a regular 270.

My 'bad' for including the mention of the 160 class bullet and only getting a bit over 60 grains of the powder in a 270 Win case in the same post.:rolleyes:

Both screws are tight but one is about stripped.:rolleyes:

This particular rifle pushes a 140 @ 3200 w/RL-22.

I figured 7828ssc would best RL-22 performance with the heavier bullet as RL-25 is courser than a cob and I wanted to try a slower powder.

bigngreen It was your earlier post(s) regarding 7828 and humongous 130 gr velocities out of the 270 Win that I was trying to recall.....

Last edited:
Ya, were getting 3500+fps with 130 gr bullets. The rifle has a 26in barrel and is fast. I had to check the crony over and I shot 2 other rifles over it and it was right on with what those should be at. It's buddies and this year he finally started loading for himself so I haven't tinkered with it much more, but the numbers are honest.

Hey Roy, if your not dead or in a coma after this, post your results. Far be it from me to question my elders especially ones as seasoned as you, but I hope your working up to that load VERY SLOWLY. If you blow yourself up Im gonna drive to Idaho and kick whats left of your elder ***. Just be carefull k. I dont wanna jump on L/R/H one day to find out you went up to hunt elk with the big man in the pearly gate territory. Besides I just learned to pee before I open any of your threads, as everytime before I almost did it in-voluntarily from laughing so hard. Just be carefull.

OOOOOOHHHH ROOOYYYYY................ You surely know how to make a guy nervous........... just be careful. Youve got many years on me and I wont question your judgement on your personal firearms and loading tecnique. But just be carefull.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.