270 win loads

kc0pph- groups average 5/8-3/4. I have gotten several 1/2 groups with the same load, and a couple smaller when I do my part. I am currently playing with seating depths to try and wring out a little tighter groups- shooting those groups friday I hope. I'll let you know how they do. I began load work up at 57.5 gr and increased in .5 gr increments up to 61. I had NO problems with pressure signs on brass, nor any change in bolt lift. Settled on 59.5 gr because at 60 gr groups seemed to open back up some. Rifle was built by Kirby Allen on a Borden Timberline action. Don't know if I'd push that hard on my Browning A-Bolt..........

Not sure id push that in my 700. Ill give it a try work it up. I got several samples of bullets coming in including accubounds, and Barnes TSX. Was thinking about using Kirby's Load til the bolt starts getting stiff and then back off 2 gn's, wala there is your load. From there ill play around trying to figure out which load is the best.

Note: Dont use the techneque described until you read FIFTYDRIVER's post on it.

Cotton what was your COAL with those 140 AB's? I've been pleased with my groups and not played that much with the seating in my loads with my pet 130 AB load and H4831sc 59 grs w/ mag primmer is 3.28 COAL.

Going to Start some Load Development on a few bullets. Trying to get something my 700 likes better than 150 gn Sierra SBT. Have this on Order

Nosler 150gn Balistic Tip
Nosler 150 gn Solid base (I believe)
Nosler 140 gn Accubound (Going to try CCI 200, 59.5 gr H 4831 after i work up a few sighters lower than that)
Nosler 130 gn Mystery
Barnes X 150 gn
Barnes TSX 130 gn.

Any thoughts on some loads. Currently using H4831 might go to RL22, and hear Varget makes good loades for the 130 gn's.

If you can include primer and C.O.A.L.

Last edited:
Gonewest- I'd have to check my records to be sure but I'm trying to remember that it was 3.342, which should be ~.002 off the lands. That's the length I was running on some 130 gr BT loads, and I started my AB loads there as well. I have some groups loaded to try setting the bullets deeper to see what the AB likes as far as jump. Those 130 BT loads were scarily accurate at that length- just decided I wanted a little better performance on deer so switched to AB, still working on fine tuning the load with them. I have no doubt they are going to shoot as well as the Bt's.

KCO Its really hard to beat the H4831 but if you have any H4350 to try I got real good groups with a 140 Acc Bond using 53 grs with rem brass and cci reg primmer set at Coal 3.30. I played with this load quite abit and got it to shot real good. I used it last yr in Aberta and it floored a ten pt in his tracks. My Sako just seems to like 130's a little better and I get better groups at 2-300yds. It might be me a little I get stubburn about changing from a gun and bulltet that has been good to me. But I would shoot 140 Acc Bds all day. Good luck . Keep us posted.

Anybody try anything with these Matrix Ballistics in the 165 or 175 gr? Looking for some load data to start with.

Thanks
Shane

150gr berger vld hunting, hornady brass, cci 250mag primer, 57gr re22, oal 3.385", 11es, 2865 5 shot average, 22" barrel. .5" all day if i can do my part. Start low and work up.

65.5 gn RL-22
130 Nosler BT
Federal 215 Mag Primer
Wincherster Brass

Start with the Nosler manual and work your way up, is whtat I did.

65.5 gn RL-22
130 Nosler BT
Federal 215 Mag Primer
Wincherster Brass

Start with the Nosler manual and work your way up, is whtat I did.

You might want to re check your data. That load is a 270 WSM load. The max fo r a 270 Win is going to be more like 58.0 gr of RL22 wth a 130.

Dan

I may try RL-22 as its sold at walmart much cheaper than anywhere else. I hear that RL-22 has a bad temp stability problem though. Is this correct?

i hunt up here in alberta and have never had an issue. and we can get some major temp changes. maybe chrono some when it's warm out, then some when it's cold, i personally haven't found much variance, maybe because i use magnum primers? not sure....

You might want to re check your data. That load is a 270 WSM load. The max fo r a 270 Win is going to be more like 58.0 gr of RL22 wth a 130.

Dan

Dan, I stand corrected. Yes, that is a 270 WSM load.

I usually usually end up with the 270 Win load @ 130 Nosler Bt with 54 gn of IMR4831.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.