Wife Beats the Crap Out of Me

Long Time Long Ranger

What can I say. My wife just beat the crap out of me this morning. It has been a wild three days. I had a post about Friday evening scouting for my wife. I then killed the buck I found for her when it ran into my suburban. So after my big morning of hunting yesterday I went scouting for her again in the evening. I came home and told her I found a nice buck for her to hunt this morning. She said yeah, did you run over this one to? I will never live that down. I said no, I can't get the suburban that far in there so you got to put on your hiking boots for this one.

In July we all anxiously awaited the Wyoming draw results and my wife was the only one of us to draw our area for deer. A November tag hunting nice bucks in the rut. So we discussed rifles. I made a couple nice shots with the 300 ultramag yesterday and suggested it would be a good rifle. She said the Lapua has been shooting good and we haven't hunted with it in a while so she decided to bring it along instead. She said lets spread the love a little. Don't want it to get lonesome.

My wife had to work dispatch all night and got off at 6:45 AM. That left us just enough time to get up to where I saw the nice buck yesterday by daylight. We got up on a point of rocks overlooking about a half mile of country all around us. At daylight we began to pick out deer. We saw some small groups of does and a few fair bucks but not the big one I saw the day before. One real nice ten point whitetail almost got shot but we decided to hold off for the big one thinking he would eventually show himself. A couple of the muleys were nice bucks and my wife wanted to shoot but I convinced her to wait. We were entertained by two bucks getting into a serious shoving match over a group of does. After a while we had about given up on the big one.

There was one little group of does that didn't have a buck with them. All of a sudden they did. The big guy came slipping up out of a draw to attend the does and our heart rates went through the roof. When my wife saw the size of the antlers she had to wait a minute to control the shakes so she could get ready for the shot. I ranged him at 516 yards and the cheat sheet showed a mil dot at 510. I told her which dot to use and just hold dead on. She was prone using the bipod off the rock ledge overlooking the deer. She had to take some deep breaths to control the shakes that wouldn't subside. Finally the buck turned broadside and she said I'm ready to take him.

At the shot I watched through binoculars as the deer shuttered but didn't drop. The sound of the bullet whack was extremely loud leaving no doubt the 225 Accubond made a solid hit. The huge buck ran about 30 yards dead on his feet before crashing into the ground. My wife is jumping up and down and screaming. I got him! I got him! We hurried down to the buck chattering like two kids as the excitement built to get our hands on that rack. She was screaming, jumping up and down, and doing dances around the buck. She was just a bit excited. We started taking pictures and she said I got to take one with my phone to text out. Nobody's going to believe this .... .

The guide had to get in one picture and the one with just the buck shows the point of rocks on the little hill she shot from in the background.

PhoebesDeer033.jpg

PhoebesDeer130.jpg

PhoebesDeer140.jpg

Forgot, 338 Lapua with 225 grain nosler accubonds at 3360 fps.
Also forgot, If you want to judge how big this deer is just look at where the antlers are laying across my wife's shoulders. They are resting on her and not holding it out for a picture. It was way to heavy and she couldn't have held it anyway. She had to rest it on her shoulders to hold it up. This is a pretty nice deer.... For a girl! And my wife is a big woman with a lot of clothes on.

Last edited:
Awsome pics/bucks!

Just my opinion, but if you want to do those bruisers justice if you plan on shoulder mounts, you should take a hard look at the Buckeye manikins now owned by McKenzie. They sculpt the very best muley heads I've seen and I'm very picky. I have yet to see another manikin with the correct nose bridge contour in any taxidermy catalog.

Big congratulations to the wife for a great shot and beautiful buck, as well as
LTLR for not running over that one with the suburban. :D

My wife is following along and thanks everyone very much for the reply's. Her feet haven't hit the ground all day, up in the clouds somewhere I think.

Bob, I am glad i learned this to. Got tired of posting and everyone asking where the pictures are.

Kiwi, She usually shoots her 338-378 wby but wanted to switch it up this time. She was going to use her 240 wby but where this buck was we were afraid it might stretch the little 240 to much. She wanted this baby on the ground.

Derek, I am my own taxidermist and agree with you on the mckenzie forms.

ejones look just a little lower for the thread by me on heavy projectiles/large caliber. It gives all the specifics down to foot pounds I hit him with. Bad day at the office for sure. I have been the laugh of the town and butt of all jokes for that one.

Congratulations to your wife Long time,and its wonderful to see your wife shares the same interest in hunting and glad she is still in the air over the shot.
Surprised she beat the crap out of you after taking that buck.
Birthday and christmas time presents comes to mind,

Thomo, This is Mrs. LTLR. I whopped him a good one when he ran over my first buck and killed it before I could hunt it. I just kicked his butt in deer hunting, I didn't really beat the crap out of him. Well I did, but just in deer hunting. All hugs and kisses though.

Thanks everybody, I'm excited.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.