Wide World of Sports!

I too would call the hunt a success. I've been skunked on some of my most enjoyable and memorable hunts, although it's nice to come home with meat for the freezer, too. Hopefully you & your boy will get another shot at a nice buck up there again. Persistence usually pays off! Good luck to both of you.
Cheers,
crkckr

Well went out yesterday. At last light 4x4 working over a tree below us. We were on a cliff he was small and very big storm coming. No shoot. 30 minute ride back 5 minutes from truck wind hit. Literally blowing us sideways on the road cause we were on snow. Got to the truck and loaded up to get off the mountain. Luke said good thing we didn't kill that buck. I said yep. Got home wind was 60mph at home. Cannot imagine what the mountain was like.
Remembered a great quote for this. "You cant cheat the Mountains Jeremiah the mountains has her own way"

Well son had another learning lesson well actually two of them. He got down in some timber in thigh deep snow and came across a buck rubbing a tree. He said it was the biggest Mule deer he had ever seen now standing at 40 yards. 30" trashy 6 point right side. All he could see was hindquarters and head some neck. He thought well I will wait and when he's done and steps out I will shoot him. Well buck finishes and walks directly away so no shot. Never to be seen again. I asked why didn't you shoot him in the neck and he said well I don't know was thinking I would get a lung shot.
So we hunt on. That evening we made a plan to split up and watch a canyon. Well he walk and I glass from sxs. I hear a shot hmmmm that sounded like him. Radio crackles and he said he shot a buck no more waiting. He then says hurry and get down here as I shot the smallest of three bucks as he hadn't seen the other two. oops. He said he should have waited. I grabbed my pack and set off. I get down to him and he said get ready as they will be coming out. I use bino's first buck comes out and I range him at 190y. Luke said wait thats not the biggest one. Other buck comes out and Im on rifle and I say your right that one is quite bigger. Time to start packing out deer! This time waiting might have paid.
Luke Buck.jpg
My Buck.jpg

Great writup, thanks for taking us along.
My hunting partner got shipped to Cananda so when I started to get out of bed yesterday morning the better half asked "and where do you think your going!" With the weatherman claiming the sky will be falling there was no sence argueing with her. There was no way she was letting this old fart out unsupervised so I rolled over and went back to bed.
Still have till the 31 to fill deer tag, the freezer already stocked and I have a vacation day that has to be used or lost so I might get back to Okie trail. The question is how far up I'll be able to drive?

I jokingly used the "agony of defeat" quote at work a while back. Part of getting old means being the only one in the room that knows what you're talking about.

Guy made many successful jumps, and is remembered for the one it went wrong. A gust of wind is the bane of shooters, and ski jumpers.

He was pretty much unaware of his fame. They did bring him in for the anniversary show, and he got a standing ovation. Famous athletes worldwide got his autograph.

Ya overall it was a lot of fun. Just in time too as Luke is a roghnecker and is leaving this week for the oil fields. Deer are cut and canned. Now for that bull elk tag

Ya, I remember WW of Sports . Use to love it. Great story. That will be one to tell the grandkids some day. Congrats to you and you son !

Loved WWS...Saturday afternoons. You got to see sports other than basketball, baseball, and football.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.