How wide is this Mule Deer?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by SBruce, Jan 12, 2010.

1. SBruce

SBruce Well-Known Member

How Wide is this buck............my guess is 30 to 32 inches (assuming 22" ear spread)...............Anyone care to comment?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my buck from the 2008 season...............Anyone care to guess how wide he was? Or what he scored? I am about 5'11'' and close to 300 lbs for reference.

[​IMG]

2. Nape.270

Nape.270 Well-Known Member

30" wide out side and scores in the 180s. :rolleyes:

Nice buck where was it taken and what's the story.

3. Dskiper

Dskiper Well-Known Member

Whow! Those are beautiful bucks! Who don't love those muleys!Where at? Dskiper

4. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

First buck looks about 28'' to me. Your buck is held at a odd angle with ears back. But it looks like it might have 24-25 1/2" spread credit, it has good G2,s, light in mass, but IF you go gross horn and trash I think it is over 200, but as a net typical, with trash and crab claw front on one side, verses other strong front it might net 185" it flars at top and looks like it could go 32+ on outside spread. Have seen other picts now, other front fork was better than looked in first pict. Great buck

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  5. theodore

theodore Well-Known Member

I guessed 27ish but with you behind the deer, I'm pretty sure I underestimated the buck.

6. 7mmSendaro

7mmSendaro Well-Known Member

I'm guessing my estimate on the one you shot wouldn't count....would it? LOL!

(I took the photo.........................:D)

7. SBruce

SBruce Well-Known Member

Yea, no fair asking 7mmSendaro how big it was. He helped me track this buck, get it out, AND took the pics. Here's a few more at slightly different angles to help you out a little......LoL. Come on trophy hunters and outfitters, get in on this!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  8. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

First buck, 29" outside... Your buck, 32"

9. HUAINAMACHERO

HUAINAMACHERO Well-Known Member

The buck you hunted is very nice, very nice!!! Congrats.
    The buck in the picture looks he is wide enough to be hunted:D:D:D

10. theodore

theodore Well-Known Member

Hey! Did you take the picture then wait for it to grow before tagging it? LOL

11. SBruce

SBruce Well-Known Member

LOL.........I WISH I could do stuff like that! The first buck's photo was taken just last month, the one I got was October 2008. Truth is, my lucky day and his unlucky day. I Didn't even know he was there until seconds before I shot him. I had never seen him before, and nobody else had mentioned seeing him either.

The taxidermist said that he was "ancient" he said that "he's hardly got any teeth left, and the ones he does have are so wore down that I doubt the University could even age him, my guess is 14-15 years old"...........WOW, would have loved to seen what he looked like in his prime, 5 or 6 years ago! But they don't get big by being seen. He was truly an outstanding buck for an Eastern Wyoming plains deer. The Game and Fish Biologist was suprised to see a harvested buck that large in this area too. I had seen bigger ones, but always Pre or Post Season. Our muley rifle season here is only the first two weeks of October.

I'll post more about the story here later................Keep the Guesses Coming!!

12. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

My buck pictured in the 37" thread was aged by bioligist at 5 1/2, they pulled a tooth and are going to age it that way also. Our deer dont get that old, tough winters, snows 10' where I shot deer, 3' at the bottoms.

13. 7mmSendaro

7mmSendaro Well-Known Member

As we have discusses buddy, I suspect I did see him back then and he was even more amazing!

14. 1/2 slam

1/2 slam Well-Known Member

First buck 28" outside. your 2008 buck 31" and gross"s 202