Wide World of Sports!

hunter67wa

Are you old enough to remember this on TV! The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.

Yesterday the son and I went deer hunting in the Bighorns. We had to get over a 10,000 foot mountain. Left the truck 19 degrees. We struggled to get to the top on sxs on a road as wind was drifting snow. Got to top a pick-up was stuck and trying to get out from the night before been digging since 0100. Road drifted in. Winds 12mph gusting to 20. They had help coming so we started to hike. We were about 3 miles from deer hunting spot. Ran into another truck they asked how was the road I said drifted in and 10-15 inches new snow tonight. They had horses and trailer. Maybe the only saving grace for these guys is that loggers were coming to get equipment on Monday and will plow road out.

Ok finally on ridge we want. Elk and deer sign also a very large lion track. We split up and met at end of ridge nothing. Glassed hillside for an hour nothing. Well time to head back. We moved back to top of ridge less snow easier walking. Luke wanted to look back over other side. He was looking and I was removing clothing as I was getting warm. I looked to top of ridge and thought that looks like a deer. Geovids confirmed branched buck. I went prone 311 yards. I looked at Luke he hadn't noticed me going prone. I put scope on him 4x4 strong fronts week backs no brows. Luke is now looking at me wondering why Im chilling in the snow. I pointed he came to me and got on the pack also. We debated if he wanted to shoot him. Maybe 22 inches wide not what we are here for but tall. So we talked about it for about 5 minutes and watched the buck enjoy the sun out of the wind.

The next thing my eye picked up was movement to the right of him from behind a tree. I put Geovids up and that was what we were looking for 26-28 inches wide and tall 3x4 long points will be the largest buck for Luke. I said kill that buck. Luke is on the 270. We are waiting for a clear shot now. He moves out broadside but other buck is behind him so we wait. Small bucks moves we are clear. I say send it. At that moment buck spins and walks back into timber. Crap Luke said he had 2 pounds of pressure on the trigger another second and he would have shot. We are in the open not really able to move so we wait 15 minutes no sign. We make a stalk and they seen us. Last time we seen them was going over another ridge. Well long walk back. Get to sxs and 3 pickups trying to pull the one out we offered coffee and food. Guys were thankful. Wind drifting road in like we had never came up. I told Luke time to leave. On the way down sxs stuck of the road helped them get out. We were glad to get to the truck still 27 degrees out and we were beat.

Even though we didn't get the buck it still felt like a successful hunt. The more successful part was just getting through the weather conditions. Once home wife says I wasn't expecting you till dark but by the look of your windburned faces I get it. Dinner and the Scotch hit the spot and reliving a great hunt.

Sorry it didn't work out for the nice buck....I guess that's why it's called hunting and not "killing"! A good "reality" story! Sometimes you don't win....but, it's still an adventure! Hopefully, you've got more time to right the wrongs that "Mother Nature" bestowed upon you! memtb

I can hear ELO as your careening down the snowy path in your SXS! Brent Musberger would be be happy to provide commentary on your exciting hunt! He's still with us, by the way.

Wasn't oh Howie Cosell on there too.....seems like they matched him up to the AGONY OF DEFEAT side of everything...
Reads like you had a more successful day than the rest of the rigs......sometimes....you gotta know when to call it a day.....many times like your adventure..make sure you have plenty of daylight left to get out of your own predicament....
In my opinion....you taught your son probably one of the biggest issues to deal with when hunting...and when to call it....

Yep. Back in 1997 our Fish & Wildlife agency partnered with the Rocky Mtn Elk Foundation and began receiving elk from western states....primarily Utah. It's been a pretty good restocking success. Now we have quota hunts for them. The teenage son of one of my co-workers got drawn (miracle) for a bull this year. They hired a guide, made the 3hr trip east to the coal strip-mining areas where the elk flourish, and ended up killing a decent bull.

I here ya on the miracle. I have been putting in for PA forever. I think I have 15 or 16 points now. They just changed to allow archery and another season. At $10 an app somebody is making money.

Great story, too bad your boy didnt get that buck but what an adventure. Your story reminded me of hunting with my uncle. We had some real hairy adventures. Thanks again

Thanks for the story. It's a good reminder of how fast weather conditions can change and potentially get you cut off from returning home.

I call that a very successful hunt. Being out there with son working together cant be beat. Even getting the animal wouldn't have made it much better.

Not going to get to go out this year, moving to OK next month.

Son and I have a Montana Elk & Deer hunt booked for Nov 2020, cant wait! Being on mountain side with him is the best of the best.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.