Why the mad dash on reloading supplies?

What you say is POSSIBLE...but if it comes about....I bet it doesnt last more than 4 years...if you get my drift.

Things change quickly when laws are passed by presidential decree...and we only have 4 years to hold our breaths!

My commentis.......We went down this road last time and got the same turd. Is next time going to be any different? Will there be a next time?

Think about it....

My instinct is a regulatory system on ammunition is coming. I believe a major tax too, just like alcohol and cigarettes. If I'm right and this turns out how the federal and/or state government can downplay the cost of ownership, it will get worse. I see quite a few people selling their guns over the next year or so. But I also see a continuous increase in ammunition costs. If I'm right, later this year may be the time to stock up on the essentials for a few years. Too early to tell though, the country is broke now, great time to spring a new tax, liberals love to attack sins and hobbies and such, they'd easily get support. Economics are what they always use.

why the mad dash on reloading supplies? ... Perhaps some folk suspect our gobbermint is our worst enemy?

why would anyone think that? Bo and joe have assured us all they want is to add a few 'common sense' laws because our current laws don't seem to be controlling firearms crimes - you know, like the excellant way our current laws against murder, rape, thieft, drunk driving, school teachers screwing kids, illegal drugs, illegal immigration, robbery, mugging, etc keep things to a tiny few incidents.

so, we can all rest easy that when gobbermint passes enough gun laws to control gun crime they won't pass any more. Well, except maybe a few common sense laws to restrict who can have - or reload - some specific types of ammo; probably something as simple as outlawing shotshells, handgun or rifle ammo that eject projecticles with a muzzle velocity in excess of 30 fps... Just to keep our little kids reasonably safe, you know? I mean from any danger except union school teachers.

10 x :)

My instinct is a regulatory system on ammunition is coming. I believe a major tax too, just like alcohol and cigarettes. If I'm right and this turns out how the federal and/or state government can downplay the cost of ownership, it will get worse. I see quite a few people selling their guns over the next year or so. But I also see a continuous increase in ammunition costs. If I'm right, later this year may be the time to stock up on the essentials for a few years. Too early to tell though, the country is broke now, great time to spring a new tax, liberals love to attack sins and hobbies and such, they'd easily get support. Economics are what they always use.

Could be might be. If it goes that far. By the looks of things and the furry of regulations coming from a bunch of states, tempers are getting short and thats not good.

I just ordered SMK's in 250 grain flavor tonite from Brownells with a 3 week wait. I had an inquiry at Natchez and they came in and went out before I could order, a whole 3 day spread.

The old play with the 22's cause they are cheap is looking better and better. Glad I have a 22 conversion for both my Kimbers....

The country will be more broke by the time the turd is through.....

Ive got about 40,000 rounds of 22 LR ammo right now, and 5 guns that shoot 22 lr, i should be covered for a while.

Riley..

I bet they all fit in a shoebox too.:)

If we could only reload rimfire..........lightbulb
When all the fired casing are melted into a block they fit in a shoe box :)

I wouldnt even bother reloading a rimfire, cheape enough already. Although having 1 lb of powder last 1500 rounds sounds nice.

When all the fired casing are melted into a block they fit in a shoe box :)

I wouldnt even bother reloading a rimfire, cheape enough already. Although having 1 lb of powder last 1500 rounds sounds nice.

Might have been cheap (relatively), but will not stay cheap in the future and the shoebox depends on the size of the shoes.... You don't put snowshoes in a penny loafer shoebox.....:)

After the 2008 shortages, there is no excuse to be caught short today.

I have been stocking up on all my components for the last 4yrs and am still buying much more than I expend. The prices will only increase in the future, it is a good investment, just like food.

Learn from this and don't be caught short again, a two year supply should be everyone's minimum.

Our ex-Gov here in Pa. ( Fast Eddy Rendell ) not that many years ago proposed a 5 cent per round tax on all ammo. It didn't make it to reality. But you know how these psyco libs work...Tax & Regulate...To think that isn't in the works for reloading components is folly. I think it is important to have enough of whatever you feel you need to get yourself through the end of the present regime...I really do hope I'm wrong but getting caught short I will not.

As dedicated reloaders (something that most of us are on here), it's just a matter of maintaing inventory levels.

With the current events going on, maintaining is a matter of ordering and waiting as I'm doing right now.

I too, believe the days of reloading to control costs (not that I was ever concerned with that) are going to be gone, shortly.

Example, every 338 factory round in Lapua, by Lapua costs about $3.00 for every trigger pull, whereas handloads in OFB are about $2.00 factoring in time plus components. I suspect that will increase to $3.00 for each handload and $4.00 plus for a factory load and possibly more, depending on added surcharges.

Ammunition is ripe for taxiation over and above whats already levied in sales tax and as was ststed the government and country is broke despite what politicians and Bernake tells you. Just look around at diminishing allocations of funding for schools, municipalities, state governments.... all going down in allocations....

It's called taxes to support the government and I agree with a previous poster, we voted in the cuirrent regime at every level, Federal, State and local so you get what you voted for. I know the argument is "I didn't vote for that A'hole but keep in mind that majority still rules with elections. We are the minority, not the majority.....

Why it's so vitally important to talk to everyone you know and don't know and reason diplomatically with them and try to convince them they need to one, vote and two, vote to remove the very politicians that are instigating this.

It's all about controlling the government, not the government controlling us.

We are a ways out on elections but don't forget for a minute that your vote counts and counts exponentially more in local and state government elections than national elections....

Well I am now the proud owner of 5lbs of powder. 3 lbs H1000 and 2 lbs Retumbo. Retumbo is same lot and 2 lbs of the H1000 is same lot. I found it at a local gunshop that I had completely forgotten about since they moved to a different location. They have 2 lbs of Retumbo left. I may go back and get it. I should have while I was there.

Was in my local store this past Friday. Ammo was about 90% gone from being almost totally packed around Christmas time. Same with primers and powder.

The panic buying continues. And with all the AR's you need ammo and supplies, so all those went by-bye along with 'em especially when you buy AR's..they were flying off the shelves, no one cared what it was, salesman says, 'heres an AR', buyer says, "I'll take it" just like that, dropping 1500 or whatever..

Its ironic that everything was JUST FINE with availability of components/ammo & most guns through election, and WOULD HAVE BEEN JUST FINE, but then Sandy Hook, then Obama went into true form along with the media hype…

I remember the last time (2007-08), it wasn't until June or July (or later, I think) that supplies became abundant again. Wonder how long this one will last? And if so, what will the laws be and what pricing will be like ?? bad enough copper, and all those metals are on the rise anyway!
Glad I bought my supplies a while ago.. good lucks to alls of ya!! And be safe damnit!!

I'm not buying out of panic, I'm buying because of the panicked!

Went to my local spot today. They had a fair amount of primers and limited powder selection. I picked up an 8lb can of H4831sc. I've never bought powder more than a pound at a time, but I would like to shoot all summer without worrying about running out.

Hopefully this will settle down sooner than later. The guy that owns the shop (as well as a huge name brand of outdoor gear) told me today that Brownells sold THREE YEARS worth of inventory in 72 hours following the sandy hook event!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.