Reloading Supplies

hunter66

I have not been able to buy any reloading supplies for over a year. I will see a post from one of the members but by the time I get to the vendor everything is gone. I still work and don't have time to watch for post or check websites like most of you do. Really frustrating Sportsman's in my city get sporadic shipments but by the time I get there 16 miles its all gone. I sat on my hands when the opportunity to buy was there and all of a sudden everything was gone and hasn't come back. I've heard the Military is buying up a lot of the products but why would they buy more than normal when we are winding down on some of the wars we are in.

I have not been able to buy any reloading supplies for over a year. I will see a post from one of the members but by the time I get to the vendor everything is gone. I still work and don't have time to watch for post or check websites like most of you do. Really frustrating Sportsman's in my city get sporadic shipments but by the time I get there 16 miles its all gone. I sat on my hands when the opportunity to buy was there and all of a sudden everything was gone and hasn't come back. I've heard the Military is buying up a lot of the products but why would they buy more than normal when we are winding down on some of the wars we are in.

They are preparing for a lot of small arms use! memtb

I understand what your going through I've been looking for stuff to reload for my 223 for about 6 months now and also trying to find h or imr4350 and staball 6.5 for my 30-06 and 300 wsm and i havnt been able to find any on line.ive got a feeling there's alot of people just sitting around watching all the web sites buying up stuff they don't need and hording it or buying it and resolving on places like gun broker to make a killing and there is alot of that going on from what I've seen

Millions more gun owners.

I understand what your going through I've been looking for stuff to reload for my 223 for about 6 months now and also trying to find h or imr4350 and staball 6.5 for my 30-06 and 300 wsm and i havnt been able to find any on line.ive got a feeling there's alot of people just sitting around watching all the web sites buying up stuff they don't need and hording it or buying it and resolving on places like gun broker to make a killing and there is alot of that going on from what I've seen
True.

Bullets are pretty easy to find now. Maybe not the exact specific one you want, but sometimes you have to take what you can get. I just picked up 1k 140gn .264s this morning from Midway. Ordered 500 Hornady .308s last week.

Got 6# of H380 from Powder Valley Friday night. Passed on 8# jugs of LRT and Hunter because I didn't need them. Brick of 1K large rifle primers within the last month. I've never used H380 before, but book data covers 243 Win, 6.5CM, and 30-06 so it'll get me through this winter one way or the other. I work all day too, I don't sit on websites and watch, just check in when I get home usually.

I'm not going to not shoot because I can't get what I want, going to take what I can get. I'm not hoarding anything, either, just trying to keep my normal stuff in stock and trying new things if they pop up.

Sometimes on the front end of panics it's good to shoot a unique or less popular round because ammo and components last longer. On the back end like we are now, shooting a very popular round might mean stock comes back sooner since more of it is being made to feed demand. Components for 6.5 CM, 270 Win, 30-06, and 300 WM seem to be pretty easy to get the last few months.

The current component emergency demands flexibility & vigilance. For example, decades ago I used H380 powder in my only 2 rifles - a .22-.250 rodent rifle & my .308 Match rifle. Great results with both. H380 became an orphan powder - left on the shelf gathering dust by trendy hand-loaders. Now for some reason H380 is back, possibly reclaimed from salvaged extruded powders or left over stocks. Hodgdon ball powders appear to be all made in the USA. H380 was designed for the .30-06 and possibly was made from reclaimed salvaged extruded powders. It will work in the M1 but only with mild loads, 168's at about 2650- 2700 fps. .

During the past year I have bought powders on-line from Mid-South, Graf's,& Midway, Until recently, I never used Vihta-Vuori powders but after trying 2 pounds of VN 165 in my 6.5-06 I successfully captured 8 pounds of it from Mid-South at about $31 per pound. I never tried Shooter's World 4350 but now I have 3 pounds of it and discovered it is an excellent powder in the 6.5-06 with 100 grain bullets and .22-.250 with 75 grain bullets & .260 - bought from Mid-South & Midway. Recently I got a pound of RL23 then a month later one pound of R-S Hunter over the counter at my local Sportsman's Warehouse at normal prices.

Powder Valley has (had?) some 8 pound jugs of 4000MR, an other unappreciated powder that I have used with great results substituting 4000MR for RL19. The chances of getting 4000MR are much better than RL19.

I see increased amounts of handgun ammo I would guess much of the primer production is going into handgun ammo. Supply & demand - the shortages won't last forever.

Same boat here, I've pretty much given up looking daily for reloading supplies locally as many of the retired guys now know they schedules of all the stores and are literally there when the shelves are stocked to buy out everything (been told that a 4 different locations in my city).

You can make out alright on Gunbroker sometimes. I got an 8# jug of 4831SC recently for $400 shipped. That's not too shabby. If you want H1000, RE26, etc, you are going to have to pay ridiculous prices. But some other good powders can be had for not much more than retail

Same boat here, I've pretty much given up looking daily for reloading supplies locally as many of the retired guys now know they schedules of all the stores and are literally there when the shelves are stocked to buy out everything (been told that a 4 different locations in my city).
Slip a $50 to the manager, he's probably as sick of them cleaning him out as you are.

don't know what happened this week but a lot of the powders u guys are looking for are available on gun broker for a decent price i saw lots of powders for good prices

H4350 and some others on Natchez