Why i like my 260 rem so much now that there is no ammo over the 6.5 cm

I was perusing a new reload manual the last few days. Man, the data is questionable. I saw stuff that is absolutely off kilter. My 260 is usually a bit faster than an identical creed by 50 to 150 fps in handloads. In the manual it showed 30-06 180gr data neck and neck with 300 win mag by like 25-40 fps. The pressure listings were all over the place. Low pressures giving super high velocity and max pressures giving substandard velocities. Some pressures flipped by over 25,000 psi yet the velocities inversed. I dont know. "trust but verify". True info is gathered on the range.

Despite all the Bally-Hoo, DoD testing found the .260 Remington equally a accurate
as the creedmoor--and 50 fps faster in factory loads, up to 100+ fps faster in hand loads.
The advantage of the .260 Remington is a short action. Hand loaded in modern actions using
modern data and components, he 6,5 x 55 SE (AKA 'Swedish Mauser') essentially comes within
20 fps of .260 performance in a medium length ('.30-06') length action. I like my .260--but
for my next rifle/barrel, I am going back to the 118 years young 6.5 x 55 SE !
'Doc' Dempster

Despite all the Bally-Hoo, DoD testing found the .260 Remington equally a accurate
as the creedmoor--and 50 fps faster in factory loads, up to 100+ fps faster in hand loads.
The advantage of the .260 Remington is a short action. Hand loaded in modern actions using
modern data and components, he 6,5 x 55 SE (AKA 'Swedish Mauser') essentially comes within
20 fps of .260 performance in a medium length ('.30-06') length action. I like my .260--but
for my next rifle/barrel, I am going back to the 118 years young 6.5 x 55 SE !
'Doc' Dempster

Learn something new every day! I was told by my grandpa that a 30-06 was a long action cartridge.

I have to eat crow. My local bass pro had like 10 boxes of sig elite hunter 260 ammo come in yesterday. Could not believe my eyes! They also have a bunch of 6mm Remington LOL
And one could easily argue that the 6mm rem is better than that newfangled "hipster" .243 win haha!

Work on finding primers in stock and if you succeed get the rest.

honestly finding a useable powder is not hard, find the "unicorn" powders everyone thinks you need is hard.
Amen! The old school imr single base powders aren't unicorn powders but I have no trouble finding them and there's nothing wrong with them.

Whatcha hunting with 6.5 creed in alaska?
In GA now deer hogs and bears . Its perfict for them .I can't shoot my old 338 win mag 125 times a day like i use to could about 5 to 10 times at most now .I shot my 260 ar10 the other day it's too much fun .I gotta get some cheap bulkets to play with it more .

Both are excellent cartridges! Me personally being a gas gunner I chose the Creedmoor. In my experience it feeds better from what I have seen and known of others with .260 gassers. Not saying it's all of them. Again just my experience. Also on my end there is still more 6.5CM on the shelves. I haven't seen any .260 at all in at least 10-15 years. I think it is basically cartridge popularity dependent from area to area. Most shops here only stock what sells. I haven't till recently had any problems buying my components either. My brass still available wherever I look on line. We all though still have the primer and powder problems. Glad I have a decent stock. Projectiles are on backorder as well which can hurt both calibers.

Last edited:
There is zero ammo here .I don't know where all the millions of rounds they are making is going ! I am glad I started buying up stuff 40 years ago .Its a shame all the people wanting to get into reloading can't find anything .
There is very little loaded ammo here on the shelves this moment. When it is in it is usually Creedmoor flavor. I am also glad I started gathering my components 7 years ago before I even built my Creedmoor. I really lucked up. Just trying now to stay on top of them. Grendle Creedmoor and ARC. It is a chore to keep up and add in the .223's.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.