Why have some powders like R-26 disappeared?

Just passed up an 8lb jug in the store yesterday... figured with 9lbs sitting on the shelf, I didn't need it. My stash should last me for a while.
Where, I need it. RL26 is like a unicorn.

OP. It is because they only make certain powders and then retool and make another powder, just like brass.. once it is sold out we have to wait for them to make more

If you are looking R22 why not use MRP it is the same powder or close to it. Some say it is the same powder.

When I started w/Rl26 I bought 1 pound. In the creed, it shot very fast with single-digit ES! The shop I was at was load mapping powders other than H4350 due to shortages. Other than excessive fouling and throat wear it is tough to beat. In the 270 top velocities with accuracy and single-digit ES. Runs cleaner than in the creed but still dirty. Buy what you can when you can. I have 23# of that 29# of Rl15 24# of Rl19. I have 15.5# of 100V, 16# of 4955 and H4831. 12# of Retumbo and 1-5# of a whole lot of other stuff I don't load much of. All are substitutes for what I prefer.
Same for brass in stuff I shoot I have enough for a very long time.
If you have something that needs components, buy 2 barrels worth for each rifle. You watched supply dry up once. You were warned don't let it happen again.

I'd be willing to bet there are multiple reasons, one being a government contract for Retumbo (300 PRC) and subsequent shortage. RL26 is a good substitute for Retumbo.

RL-26 and Retumbo are my favorite for the 6.5PRC, Now that they are Impossible to find I am trying MagPro and Magnum.
Has anyone used RL-33 or Ramshot LRT?

RL-26 and Retumbo are my favorite for the 6.5PRC, Now that they are Impossible to find I am trying MagPro and Magnum.
I'm using LRT in my 6.5-300wby, I really like it. It seems pretty temp stable, burns pretty clean with good accuracy and velocity. I'm almost thru my 2nd pound so not tons of use but I say try it!
I've also tried Magpro in several different cartridges and havent gotten any loads worthwhile out of it yet. I've gotten the accuracy, just not the speed I was looking for. I havent given up tho, it's made in the US and always available and affordable so it's worth the effort.

I have a wildcat 7stw. slightly more power capacity. I have used both Rl-33 and the IMR 8133. Very similar in chrono fps with equal amounts of powder. I've also used US 869. I don't know anything about 6.5prc, but I do know that the nosler 26 crowd uses LRT

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.