Why have some powders like R-26 disappeared?

budlight

It's kinda been my go to powder from lots of testing in .243, .257, .277, 7mm...... Another one I was able to order and out of stock all over has been AR-Comp. Which is my .223 powder for everything over 55 grain.

Is this temporary?

tagged......if anyone really knows I'd like to hear about it or read the evidence. Someone said the other day that the military got it all...?????????

it is very simple. powders are made in LOTS. and companies make more than one type of powder, when a powder becomes 'POPULAR' it often becomes scares. just the way powder is made and sold. several powders have gone thru this in the near past. ME ? I BOUGHT 2 8LBS OF 26 AS SOON AS I SAW HOW WELL IT WORKS.

Just passed up an 8lb jug in the store yesterday... figured with 9lbs sitting on the shelf, I didn't need it. My stash should last me for a while.

It's kinda been my go to powder from lots of testing in .243, .257, .277, 7mm...... Another one I was able to order and out of stock all over has been AR-Comp. Which is my .223 powder for everything over 55 grain.

Is this temporary?
Graf and Son have AR Comp

We always want what we can't have haha.. I'm guilty! Found 5 lbs same lot Christmas shopping bought it, one day I'll load it in my 257 bee fast twist I'll maybe build.

Rl 26 produces some incredible velocity in quite a few cartridges, unfortunately one of those cartridges happens to be the current popularity king. I was selling guns when the Creedmoor really took off at that time h4350 was the go to then it ran out so folks switched to rl16 and it ran out then people started stuffing cases with rl26, their velocity jumped 150'/s and now theres a shortage. I hope someone finds a miracle creedmoor load with vihtavuori powders to bring the price down haha

I was always buying the newest powders available. 7828, Retumbo, h1000, Alliant series R-22 then R-25, R26 & R33. It's kind of fun to reload using burn rate charts and chrono testing.

Yes I did order 8# of AR-comp.

Has to do with importation on some powders too ( like rl26) ......supply and demand

At least it's not the Obama scare again.....yet.
It took 6-9 months on back order to get primers, had limits on almost all reloading supplies and 22lr, "scalpers" were selling powder, primers, and ammo for up to 10x the cost....unfortunately I'm sure we will see it again some day

Was the same way with AR parts for a while, they are plentiful and cheap for now.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.