Why dial a rifle bore within .0001"

If I was talking to any smith about a build and he commented that he 'held his tolerances' to 0.0001, I'd be going elsewhere, or I'd make a smart arsed comment about rocks being able to fly.....

Just say'in.

That's a good question.

The reason is simple in my mind. If you don't try to make everything as near perfect you will always wonder if it could be better/More accurate. If I can set the barrel up and not even have .0001 thousandths run out on the bore I will still try to reduce the movement in the dial indicator to less if I can.

If I could I would use .00001 indicators but with the machine that I have it would be almost impossible to do but I would still try.

You are correct about other aspects of the set up. If the tail stock is not true and dialed in and the reamer bushing is a poor fit, It wont make much difference. But setting everything up correctly
is every good smiths obligation.

You may not be able to achieve .0001 accuracy in every faze of a build but you must try. after all, perfect is best and less than perfect is still less.

I have modified my process many times in order to improve the accuracy and quality consistency.
I am also always looking for a better way to do something (Not a short cut). I consider myself a craftsman and a good craftsman never excepts less than his best and never stops trying to improve.

So the long and the short of it is, set everything to .00000 if you can and you will never be sorry.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I just thought I would re post my response for those that have responded that I promise less than
.0001 tolerances. "Please read it again".

I never said that I could do it , I only said that I tried. And not to settle for anything but the best

I would never assume that anyone was FOS and cant do something they said.I can only vouch for what I do. I TRY TO DO MY BEST
BASED ON MY ABILITY AND EQUIPTMENT AND SETTLE FOR NO LESS.

If someone settles for + or - .003 that is there business, If they "Can" do .0001 tolerance every time, Am impressed. I am only responsible for my work, and final quality is in my hands not some expectable limit set by others.

I would love to be able to hold .0001 or less all the time and guarantee it ,but I know better.

The guy that says he can do .0001 tolerance doesn't worry me as much as the guy that says
"That's close enough", "You will never be able to tell the difference, "It will work", Is what worries me because he obviously has a higher tolerance for poor quality and craftsmanship than I do.

So to the original poster. If you can get the bore better than .001, then why not try to improve it to
.0005 or .0001 TIR if you can. Never except than the best that can be achieved.

JUST SAYING

J E CUSTOM

I just thought I would re post my response for those that have responded that I promise less than
.0001 tolerances. "Please read it again".

I never said that I could do it , I only said that I tried. And not to settle for anything but the best

I would never assume that anyone was FOS and cant do something they said.I can only vouch for what I do. I TRY TO DO MY BEST
BASED ON MY ABILITY AND EQUIPTMENT AND SETTLE FOR NO LESS.

If someone settles for + or - .003 that is there business, If they "Can" do .0001 tolerance every time, Am impressed. I am only responsible for my work, and final quality is in my hands not some expectable limit set by others.

I would love to be able to hold .0001 or less all the time and guarantee it ,but I know better.

The guy that says he can do .0001 tolerance doesn't worry me as much as the guy that says
"That's close enough", "You will never be able to tell the difference, "It will work", Is what worries me because he obviously has a higher tolerance for poor quality and craftsmanship than I do.

So to the original poster. If you can get the bore better than .001, then why not try to improve it to
.0005 or .0001 TIR if you can. Never except than the best that can be achieved.

JUST SAYING

J E CUSTOM

I understand what you are saying. Now that you are retired, you are a hobbyist and not constrained by time versus dollars. Your strive for perfection, in all aspects of gun building, is for your own personal achievement. Just the kind of guy I would like to have building a gun for me.

To accurately measure a tenth repeatedly, requires coordinate measuring equipment and / or comparative measurement, neither are available to an average smith because it's cost prohibitive and certainly not attainable in an average shop.

Of course the feature being measured dictates much of the attainable accuracy of measurments.

However even with a C.M.M. I doubt the runout of a rifle bore could be accurately measured within tenths. My company owns 3 zeiss C.M.M.'s. Each one cost close to $1m. They are resting on 2 ton granite slabs ground to .0002" flatness ( if youve never seen the guys lap these things in every 6mo its something to watch.)

Majority of the time these three machines wont agree within .0003", and on parts wayyyyy easier to measure than a rifle bore. As accurate as they are, you still gotta know when to trust them and when to question them.

Consider this. If you are using a grizzly rod 12" in length, and measuring in the middle, your indicator is only moving half of what the tip of the rod is moving. Assuming there isnt any slop in the bushings and assuming its actually following the bore exactly.

You ever roll one of those things across a surface plate?
Ever check the alignment of the jacobs chuck holding the far end?

Im not saying we shouldnt all try to get rifles bores dialed as close as possible. Thats a given. Im just saying ive never gotten any significant length of a rifle bore to run inside .0001" ( on a grizzly rod ), and ive never told a customer i did.

Of course the feature being measured dictates much of the attainable accuracy of measurments.

However even with a C.M.M. I doubt the runout of a rifle bore could be accurately measured within tenths. My company owns 3 zeiss C.M.M.'s. Each one cost close to $1m. They are resting on 2 ton granite slabs ground to .0002" flatness ( if youve never seen the guys lap these things in every 6mo its something to watch.)

Majority of the time these three machines wont agree within .0003", and on parts wayyyyy easier to measure than a rifle bore. As accurate as they are, you still gotta know when to trust them and when to question them.

Consider this. If you are using a grizzly rod 12" in length, and measuring in the middle, your indicator is only moving half of what the tip of the rod is moving. Assuming there isnt any slop in the bushings and assuming its actually following the bore exactly.

You ever roll one of those things across a surface plate?
Ever check the alignment of the jacobs chuck holding the far end?

Im not saying we shouldnt all try to get rifles bores dialed as close as possible. Thats a given. Im just saying ive never gotten any significant length of a rifle bore to run inside .0001" ( on a grizzly rod ), and ive never told a customer i did.

Exactly why I don't fiddle with rifles and let someone else build what I want. In my case, I use Pierce Engineering in Lansing Michigan for my custom sticks.

Bad enough fiddling with customers prints and making timely deliveries.

What should he be doing to get a reading that isn't false.

He is getting a solid indicator reading. However what is that reading representing?

Range rods only touch the bore in two places about two to three inches apart.
Again, assuming, its perfectly centered in perfectly fit bushings, the rod is representing a projection of the alignment of the two points in the bore that it is touching.

Like any of us that smith is getting the bore running as close as he can with the tools he has. I wont say it is or is not good enough, and i couldnt tell you what kind of accuracy he can obtain like that.

My problem with range rods is that you cant see any part of the bore that lies between or beyond those two points. Most chambers are about two inches long, and the bushing on the chamber reamer is going to ride the bore far in front of the reach of his range rod. Also if the face of the barrel isnt square with the bore, and completely burrless the range rod will reflect this. Its very common to indicate a range rod, pull it out, re insert it, and get a different reading.

Grizzly rods allow you to indicate any point along the bore thats within reach of the rod. They are about 12" long. They dont project the tolerance, its actually the opposite. The further in you go, you are actually only reading a fraction of what the tip is moving, but you can see any part of the bore over a large span, and a well fit bushing in a good cut bore will usually ride it pretty close.

This goes back to my question earlier.
Would you rather have 4" of a bore run within .0002" or 10" of a bore run within .0005"?

He is getting a solid indicator reading. However what is that reading representing?

Range rods only touch the bore in two places about two to three inches apart.
Again, assuming, its perfectly centered in perfectly fit bushings, the rod is representing a projection of the alignment of the two points in the bore that it is touching.

Like any of us that smith is getting the bore running as close as he can with the tools he has. I wont say it is or is not good enough, and i couldnt tell you what kind of accuracy he can obtain like that.

My problem with range rods is that you cant see any part of the bore that lies between or beyond those two points. Most chambers are about two inches long, and the bushing on the chamber reamer is going to ride the bore far in front of the reach of his range rod. Also if the face of the barrel isnt square with the bore, and completely burrless the range rod will reflect this. Its very common to indicate a range rod, pull it out, re insert it, and get a different reading.

Grizzly rods allow you to indicate any point along the bore thats within reach of the rod. They are about 12" long. They dont project the tolerance, its actually the opposite. The further in you go, you are actually only reading a fraction of what the tip is moving, but you can see any part of the bore over a large span, and a well fit bushing in a good cut bore will usually ride it pretty close.

This goes back to my question earlier.
Would you rather have 4" of a bore run within .0002" or 10" of a bore run within .0005"?

Maybe if we can start over it will clear up some of your questions.

First = If you use the bore of the barrel to align it, The bore must be true end to end, and the bore must be perfectly round and the lands and groves must be consistent with each other(The same height/depth. This is why a premium barrel must be used. If you start with a barrel that has poor straightness tolerances you will never get a true bore straightness, just an average of the worst/best of that bore.

Some Premium barrel makers list there straightness tolerance. I prefer the ones that have a Bore straightness of .0001 end to end. (At least I start with a true barrel that has a chance of being very good). Some will be better than that , but that is the maximum run out that will be excepted and shipped to the customer.

A barrel that starts out more (some have a rejection of .003 end to end, Not .0001) and it would be impossible to do a very good job or alignment. you might luck out and end up with a shooter but the odds are stacked against you.

Now assuming you have a barrel with a .0001 or better end to end TIR and you use a indicator rod
or any bore alignment device. Longer is always better (Just like site radius). also the tool has to fit the bore perfectly, no exceptions. if it doesn't contact "ALL " of the lands you are wasting your time with that tool.

The dial indicator should be at least a .0005 or better yet a .0001 indicator and preferably a last word type (They have a small range and have very little spring loading that could cause any deflection of the tool.

The term trash in trash out definitely applies when setting up a barrel for chambering. Good barrels, good tools, and knowledge of the best way to use them is a big start in getting a quality job. Last but not least is the craftsmanship and persistence in getting the best set up possible. all of this normally equals an accurate rifle.

I hope this helps. And thanks Barrelnut , for the kind words. I would like to think that all good smiths would try there best every time because they want to.

J E CUSTOM

PS: My experience has been that the more precise the tolerances throughout the build, The more forgiving the rifle is to different loads(It will shoot everything good, but when you do load development and find the best load, It will blow your socks off).

Ive never seen the kind of straightness and TIR you describe.

Ive done two bartliens and one krieger in the last month or two and none had a bore straighntess even close to .005".

Diametrically they were all probably within .0001 from end to end and probably within .0001 of advertised size, but nowhere near straight.

If i indicate both ends the bore always jump ropes enough to easily see with the eye.

Typically i get barrels with a TIR of about .005-.010 on the ends, but ive never seen one where the bore is straight or concentric all the way through.

I typically indicate the bore as long as i can reach from the chamber end, and let the muzzle do whatever it needs to so i can get the area where the chamber reamer will be piloted, to run as true as possible.

When i do this, typically the muzzle will run out .01-.02".

Is this not the preferred method?

What kind of runout could you get if you indicated a half inch or 1 inch long section of the bore on each end of the barrel?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.