Why aren’t Terminal Ascent Bullets more popular?

I saw two lonely boxes of .308 win at Bass Pro. I grabbed them and now I am drooling at FEENIX's post.
I have several .308's and will choose one for these. Spending my reloading time on my elk rifle (s) Shhh! 😉

I've taken elk with the TBT in 270 and the TA in 7 mag. Both factory ammo did their job but I haven't harvested past 500 meters. However, I now primarily reload for 7 mag and I will not consider the TA until they are competitively priced with Nosler AB and of course they need to be available.

I've shot the TA in my 6.5 prc and found them to shoot ok in my rifle with the load at that time but I wouldn't stretch it out like I would with a Hornady, badlands or Berger and soon to find out with nosler 150g ablr. The TA's I have have a lot of variation on weight. According to my SubMOA app I was able to squeeze a 1/2"- 5/8" 3 shot groups at 100 yards to 650.
I sent some to Barbourcreek shooting school to do some gel test work with them and I got a response to the effect that they couldn't get them to shoot and they were all over with their weight. I have some left, would like to actually take an animal with them but as everyone knows they aren't found anywhere as a component.

mmmm I've got a stockpile of .264 cal 130 grain & 155 grain .284 cal they do exactly hat federal say they will do
killed many a antelope ,wolf, notes, whitetail & elk with them they performed flawlessly with many many pas throughs

The gel tests I've seen are very good.

However, I've loaded the TLR and TA in several rifles with a .308/.284/.264 bore. Never had great results with any of them regarding accuracy. 1-1.5 MOA is doable but could never get better results. All the rifles I tried these in were proven and shot Berger/Nosler/Hornady sub .50 MOA.

Best of luck.

I just found them last summer. I never shoot factory or pay attention to ads. I had never seen them on the shelf and can't get them. If i could get some in a weight I wanted I would try some now. If they are accurate I would shoot them hunting in a second to find out.

I did load development with the original TLR in my 06 and they shot ok but were apparently kind of sticky and not that accurate. I could only get them up to 2800 in the 175 and popped a primer. Fast forward and when the TLR 2 dropped federal came out and said they weren't very accurate like MOA at best. I would try the new ones but I wouldnt be shocked if my first experience with the original TLR would sour some people on them.

Last edited:
I ran the 130 T/A out of my 6.5 Creed and took two bucks on Kodiak this past fall. I was super happy with load development, accuracy, and then the terminal performance on both bucks (30 yards and 300 yards). I wish I could get them for my 7mm and use the my Mtn Goat and Elk hunts this year.

Recent Posts