300 Win Mag Hells Canyon Terminal Ascent

1694430997089.png

I'm guessing that this is the model you bought or borrowed since you don't specify.

A couple of thoughts to consider:

Skyscreens are subject to the vagaries of the environment in which they are used. The angle of the sun, cloud cover, time of day, etc. will have an effect of getting consistent readings.

The electronics in the chronograph is a simple timer or clock (counter) if you will. The shadow of the bullet starts the timer when it enters the first screen then stops when it enters the second screen. The quality of the data presented is governed by the quality of this timer and all the differences in the environment where/when you're shooting.

Virtually all of the electronics are manufactured in China with no regard to consistency or quality. These are made to a cheap price point only.

Every barrel manufactured today will be different from the very barrel before it and after it. Yes, they'll be close (very close sometimes) but each will be different even though they come from the same manufacturer and are made on the same equipment. Wear alone on the tooling can have an effect of the barrels. On CNC machines an offset in the program can be applied to compensate for tiny amounts of wear.

Break-in of a barrel or barrels will often show an increase in velocity as you complete the process. Without a definitive break-in process, there is no guarantee of consistent velocities.

Cleaning procedures are an obvious variable to gaining consistent readings for velocities.

Wear and tear on the throat and the quality of the barrel steel is another variable.

The only time I shoot factory ammunition is when I test fire a new build. I do chronograph the velocity along with other data for my files and for the customer. There have been a couple of exceptions where factory ammunition performs so well that even with reloading, I can't match it but few and far between.

Enjoy the process!

:)

What is the max distance you can shoot this? Further the better. 600 yards will allow you to get reasonably close using calculators to the math work backwards. I did this for a few rifles before I had a chrono. Works well enough.

The other factor to consider is lot to lot variation. If this one shoots well, buy a case...
Agreed, ideally you want to test it at a minimum of 90% of maximum range you think you may encounter or shoot to gather the best dope on your load. Distance makes a difference, testing @200 yds ES/SD for 1000 yd shot isn't practical

What is the max distance you can shoot this? Further the better. 600 yards will allow you to get reasonably close using calculators to the math work backwards. I did this for a few rifles before I had a chrono. Works well enough.

The other factor to consider is lot to lot variation. If this one shoots well, buy a case...
Agreed, ideally you want to test it at a minimum of 90% of maximum range you think you may encounter or shoot to gather the best dope on your load. Distance makes a difference, testing @200 yds ES/SD for 1000 yd shot isn't pract
Agreed, ideally you want to test it at a minimum of 90% of maximum range you think you may encounter or shoot to gather the best dope on your load. Distance makes a difference, testing @200 yds ES/SD for 1000 yd shot isn't practical
I learned this early trying out PRS shooting.