Who is using VihtaVuori 500 series powders

G

I've got a 30-06 I'm loading for that has a 28" barrel and I'm curretly using IMR-4350 and getting good velocity and accuracy but I can't seem to get good consistancy from can to can and I guess I could buy a keg but man thats steep .
So I was wondering if any of you guys have used the %00 series powders and how you liked them , I admit I'd like to get a bit more velocity to but the consistancy is what I'm intersted in and they offer 2lb cans. What would be the best choice , 550 or 560? I'm shooting 175gr bullets out of a 28" barrel.

I don't know exactly what the burn rate of N550 is in a .30-60, but in a 22 caliber with lighter bullets, it seems to be slightly quicker than IMR 4350 but not quite as quick as H414. It should work nicely, and give you a little more velocity. It is double base though and seems to maybe be tougher on throats over the long haul. I know someone who has six pounds of it that would sell it for very cheap. It's all the same lot too. If interested, just post me.

I've used both N550 & N560 in several cases with different capacities. N550 does act like H414, but gives higher velocities with lower pressures. I've always used Fed210M primers and gotten Sd so low and consistent I checked my Oehler batteries to see if they were working OK. N560 works more Like H4350. It works super in the WSM cases. Nosler uses N560 exclusively to test its loads. I haven't seen the throat burning problems, but have heard about it on the web. I think that the N series being double based has a higher temperature which could cause throat problems. In regular hunting situations, I haven't shot enough for problems. Nosler shoots quite a bit, and doesn't have any problems so far. I would probably try N550 first since you have a capacity that works well with H414. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yes, the powder is still for sale as far as I know. It actually belongs to my uncle and he has no use for it anymore becuase his 22-250 improved hates it. We ordered 16 pounds of it at once from the same lot. I got 8 and he got 8. Mine is down to about 2 pounds left but he has almost all of his left. If you want to contact him, go to user list at the top of this page and scroll down until you find Brian B. Click on his name and it will bring up his email address. Just tell him you want it!

Ihave uesed N540 and N550 in a variety of calibers and had excellent results with them. Since they only come in 2lb. bottles I have went through enough differnt lots to be convinced that they are very consistent lot to lot. I burnt the throat out of my first 300 WSM barrel (F class competition rifle) with N550 behind the 175 MK and never had to change the charge weight. The new barrel on the 300 WSM likes the powder as well as the first one. Same thing with N540 in my 223 (69 gr. MK and 75 gr. AMax) and my 308 (155 MK). I also use N540 behind the 108 gr. Laupa Scenar in my wifes 260 Rem. for a low recoil 600 and 1000 yard load. Though it isn't a 500 series of powder N133 has been an excellent performer across several different lots of powder, and in numerous 223's that I have been associated with behind 50 and 55 gr. bullets. From my experience with the VithaVouri powders over the last four years, I think you would be hard pressed to find a powder from any manufacuturer that is any more consistent lot to lot. I just wish they came in 8 lb. jugs instead of 2 lb. The only powder that I have found that comes close the lot to lot consistency is H4350 EXT. It has been excellent as well. For your 30-06 I would go to N550 like another post as said.

RiverRat

Yes I still have 7 lbs. of N550 (3 unopened 2lb cans and 1 that is less than half gone) all the same lot a bargain at $12.00 lb you pay shipping.
B

brian b,
I sent you an email direct today. I'll take the N550 for that price. Send me instructions and address. Thanks!

I've got a 2lb can of the 540, 550, and 560. Have only had a chance to try a few loads with these powders but did have a load for my 30-06 using 150grn bullets and VN550 that did a little over 3000fps out of a 22" sporter barrel without any pressure signs and using less than the max VV data. In your case, the VN560 may be the way to go. BM

Bill

I'm interested if finding out who is using VV powders for reloading the 300 RUM and what the results are. Any users?

If using 165 grain bullets, N165 works ok, but that case is so huge that it really shines with 180-220 grain bullets. These heavier bullets will zip with N170.
180's would like about 99 grains or more, and around 93 for 220's. Of course you'll have to bump up in .5 grain increments to find max with your gun.

TDV N570 has the same burn rate as Retumbo and should perform well in the 300RUM. It also shows velocity advantages in the Vihta Reloading catalog over N165 and N170 also.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.