Who has owned both the 7mm stw & 28 Nosler? Feedback?

DJ Fergus

I currently own a 7mm stw and have no complaint what so ever once it's set up with an extended mag box. I know the 28 Nosler is a ballistic Twin to the stw. My stw has .219 free bore and isn't very finicky at all. I would like to hear some feedback from those who have loaded & shot with both of these.

I used to own a 7STW for years. But I ran light and fast bullets in it. Before heavies were popular. It was fine pushing 140-160s. Very fast. But it was a 1:9" twist.
I have loaded for 28 or 29 different 28 Noslers now. All with either the 195 EOL, 197 SMK, or 184/180 Hyb. from 3030-3170+. They are a beast. With the quality of brass available, I would go this route if I built one. But, I personally don't know if I would. 500-700 rounds of accurate barrel life is kind of a put-off for me. I like to shoot my rifles, a lot.

I used to own a 7STW for years. But I ran light and fast bullets in it. Before heavies were popular. It was fine pushing 140-160s. Very fast. But it was a 1:9" twist.
I have loaded for 28 or 29 different 28 Noslers now. All with either the 195 EOL, 197 SMK, or 184/180 Hyb. from 3030-3170+. They are a beast. With the quality of brass available, I would go this route if I built one. But, I personally don't know if I would. 500-700 rounds of accurate barrel life is kind of a put-off for me. I like to shoot my rifles, a lot.

I own an STW and loaded for a 28 Nosler. Only 1 each.

I had no complaints on the 28 but didn't really see an advantage either. The 28 case is shorter but if you lengthen the mag box it doesn't really matter I don't think.

The brass argument is legitimate. The best brass I've used in the STW was neck turned RP 8mm. The nosler brass is available for both but expensive and soft. Can't remember if ADG is producing 28 stuff or not. If they are that would sway me to the 28 if I were starting tomorrow.

Either is a good choice for a big 7mm hunting rifle. I would also put the 7-300win in that category.

ADG makes 28 Nosler brass. That is my choice when loading for it.

Gotchya. That's a big factor.

I'm sure there is some old WW or RP floating around for the STW but I've not heard good things about Hornady or the Bertram, and not just in STW. I'm sure it'll work but I don't think it'll be consistent or stand up if you push it.

Maybe I've had better luck with RP than others but when I've done full prep on it I've had good performance and usually get 4-6 shots on it.

I'v had 7STW and now it's a 28 Nosler. Savage 110 receiver lengthened .250" to seat out to full length 175SGK, but it was specifically made for 140-160 class bullets with a 1-12 twist. The 175 grains would work, but every so often there'd be a bullet sideways in the target at 1000yds. Tried different full length cases 8RM, 300WM & 375H&H, with the 8RM being the best and simplest until you'v run out them. The biggest issues I ever had at the time (from 1995-2015) was good clean slow powders and case head separations and I hate the belt, serves zero purpose. Barrel finally died and it sat til 2017 when i got a 28 Nosler barrel.

The 28 Nosler is a way better designed Big Seven, that isn't proprietary and already formed brass. As brass goes, I started with a box of Nosler 28, then it became extinct. Moved to Nosler 26, because it was always available and usually on clearance, but in the end, Nosler' brass is soft and you can't get the performance that there is in the 28 Nosler, without destroying it, first time out the box! Hornady came out with their brass and it's decent stuff and HAS to be annealed before you start any load development, because the neck/shoulder is hard, cause a high pressure problem, after that it's good to go, but it still pressure limitations too. Now Peterson has their 28 Nosler case, and I can vouch that this is the good stuff. In 6.5 Creedmoor SRP, I can run at some pretty high pressures, with 156 EOL in the high 2700 fps. Got the Peterson brass in last week and have yet to start load dev with it, with Ramshot LRT, which is working better than any other powder I'v used in both 7STW/28 Nosler for lower pressures, no weird pressure spikes, high velocities with 180 ELDM & 195 EOL, clean burning and so far, temperature stability. Still waiting for a new 27" tube from X-Caliber, even though there's around 200 down the current tube?!

7STW is a killer, never had do any tracking when the payload was delivered with it! Have yet to take the 28 Nosler out in the woods, but this year may be it?

That's what I have to offer and the work continues...

So you used Ramshot in the 28? Never heard of that one before. What's it close to on the burn chart?

I haven't run a 28, but at one time my 7rum was a 28 (when my brother owned the barrel).. Does that count?? all three are similar velocity with the barrel life edge probably going to the 7stw and the least life would usually be 7rum.

Interesting. I might have to give it a try if I see some at the LGS.
Midsouth Shooters Supply $158.94 + $27 shipping and hazmat. The best powder these days, is the powder you can actually get! If at all possible, I get 8# kegs, I've enough rifles, that I can find a use for it, if it don't work to expectations.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.