Who has a very long barrel, 32" to 35", or more ?

hemiford

I'd like to humbly inquire who here has a "modern" centerfire rifle with a barrel
length of over 32 inches or more.

Please tell what caliber/cartridge and bullet weight you are using. Any more
details would be welcome too, i.e., like chrono results.

I'd just like to get a better feel for the ultra long barrel stuff from folks who do it.

My suspicion is that certain cartridges would really benefit.

At this point I'm only interested in the ballistics aspect, but if you also carry
your long-barreled monster over the countryside, tell me how fun that is.

LRKM in .338 Terminator +P chamber. 32" barrel and 4" slab brake. Sends 300 gr Bergers at 3200 fps. Velcity confirmed on an Oehler 35 as well as a Magneto speed.

Rifle length from recoil pad to tip of brake is 43 3/4" Fits in my back pack scabbard even with bipod installed very nicely. Weight just under 16 lbs full dress.

001_zps9e7c2c3e.jpg

I have tested many rifles of same caliber in 28 and 30 barrel lengths. Mostly 338 EDGES, 338 Lapua Mags, and 338 LMAI's. The 2" from 28 to 30 on an average get me 20 fps per inch.

Jeff

36" on a 50 BMG and 34" on 338/408. I won't build any more that long they are just wierd to carry.

338LM Improved (32"), 7 Dakota (32"). Both are tree trunks; neither are carried over hill or dale. In both cases I am getting velocities that are considered "hot" for the cartridge but I am doing it at nominal pressures (reason for doing so it to get to the velocity node I wanted and still be usable here in the desert in the summer).

JeffVN

I'd like to humbly inquire who here has a "modern" centerfire rifle with a barrel
length of over 32 inches or more.

Please tell what caliber/cartridge and bullet weight you are using. Any more
details would be welcome too, i.e., like chrono results.

I'd just like to get a better feel for the ultra long barrel stuff from folks who do it.

My suspicion is that certain cartridges would really benefit.

At this point I'm only interested in the ballistics aspect, but if you also carry
your long-barreled monster over the countryside, tell me how fun that is.

There is no doubt that the longer barrels add velocity to Magnum cartridges. That said, there is a point of diminishing returns depending on the cartridge used.

I have had 31'' and 32'' and a few 34" barrels and found that they were awkward to carry and did not get me that much more velocity. I now limit barrel length to 30" just to be practical and reach a happy medium.

The Bull Pup Like Broz has is the solution to this and makes the most sense if a long barrel is needed to get the ultimate velocity. (A 300 grain 338 bullet @ 3200 ft/sec is awesome Broz).

Dan Lilja (Of Lilja Rifle Barrels) did a test on long barrels that is very interesting and worth reading.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.