Who here has built a 7SS?

Matchbook454

I’m looking to build one and have questions as this will be my first custom rifle build. Have questions about bottom metal BDL or DBM as I’m not sure what I want to do yet. HS Precision DBM with a 3 rd. flush mag looks nice but can save a few bucks by going with either Remington BDL or Hawkins. Just not sure which way to go. This will be a hunting rifle so really don’t need more than 3 rds. Also looked at Hawkins M5 BDL which looks like it requires a Wyatts box and that looks like it’ll require me to modify the receiver. So many questions. Hope someone here can answer some of them.

dok7mm

I'm using HS dbm on my 6.5 SS & it's a bit too short for my 156 Berger load. You would need to make up some dummy rds with your favorite bullet and compare against OAL of the HS.

My Tuebor action is set up for DBM or I would be using BDL for the 6.5 SS.

Bob Wright

Elkaholic has! He has all the info plus a few other close friends here doing parallel development to assist. Treasure trove of info from all involved. Start with Elkaholic...

Matchbook454

Elkaholic has! He has all the info plus a few other close friends here doing parallel development to assist. Treasure trove of info from all involved. Start with Elkaholic...
I have been reaching out to him and picking his brain already. Do t want to bother him too much though and also like to here what others have done.

Elnicko

I have one built on a gunwerks receiver with the Hawkins BDL bottom metal and Wyatt’s center feed box. It feeds ok, still need to mess with it more. If I had to do it again I’d get a DBM that takes AICS mags and get a flush mag from Curtis.

Forcedoutage

I have a 6.5 SST, a 338 SST and a 7 max. I have Hawkins BDL on all of them. Just what I like on a hunting rifle. I have used center feed boxes on the 338 and 6.5 but swapped over to Wyatts WSM boxes and followers. All extended length.

Matchbook454

I have a 6.5 SST, a 338 SST and a 7 max. I have Hawkins BDL on all of them. Just what I like on a hunting rifle. I have used center feed boxes on the 338 and 6.5 but swapped over to Wyatts WSM boxes and followers. All extended length.
What receiver and did you have to make any modifications to it?

Forcedoutage

I used a stiller Predator SA on the 6.5, and defiance rebel on the 338 and a Defiance Ga Hunter on the 7 max. All short action and all cut for wyatts extended boxes by the factory/manufacture. No modifications made. I personally like the Stiller best. That will surprise most, but the Defiance are tight. I like a little slop in a hunting action lol. All shoot bug holes.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce