Which would you pick? New Zeiss Victory or Leica CRF 1200

Tikka Lover

Official LRH SPONSOR
The reason I ask is because I can get either one for the same price and would like to hear from some people that have maybe had experience with one or the other or both.

Mostly interested in how far they range in the bright sun and against snow.

Thanks fellers :D

you should get the Zeiss hands down. Mostly because we need someone to buy it and do some extensive testing on it lol.

honestly I couldn't say, but the Zeiss looks very promising. I'm hoping that it is the same as the CRF simply because I just bought a 1200 crf last year.

good luck.

I've got a Leica 1200 CRF.
I'd 100% recommend it . Unless you want to get into a 2000+ yard range finder, you'll have trouble finding anything better.

I've got a Leica 1200 CRF.
I'd 100% recommend it . Unless you want to get into a 2000+ yard range finder, you'll have trouble finding anything better.

So, how far can you range in the mid day sun just at a hillside or trees? Where I hunt there isn't much of anything that is flat so not really worried about picking up small things at a distance.

Tikka,
Gotta say the Swaro will go a mile+ around here.

In North Dakota, sunshine, and snow, they are all ****.

Sorry, don't have anything on the two you're asking about other than the researh I did showed the Swaro the hands down winner for distance.

Good luck! Let me know what you find out.

Well I already had a Swaro over the winter because everyone said it was soooooooooooooo awesome. Wasn't impressed, took it back. Gave different readings at 400 yards +- 80 yards, not cool, was absolute crap against the snow and only would do 1000 yards in the bright sun. Might as well spend half the money and get the same results.

My CRF will get up to 1300 or so in the early morning clear day on a tree line. and I have ranged deer on a slight hill at a little over 900 in similar conditions. However, once the sun gets out, it really shortens up. I can get around 1000 tree lines but only around 700 with deer if I'm lucky. I like the unit, but I sometimes which I'd have gotten the swaro.

There are a few that don't cut the mustard out there. Fewer than with other brands, I think. Problem is, I can outshoot all of them. So the Swaro will really do 1700, and 1200 is usually easy. If I take one that'll do 1300 max and 900 easy, I lose a LOT. I was dissapointed with mine in the flat, snowy glare of North Dakota. But nobody's woud do better. Sounds to me like you got a bum one. I admit, I've been frustrated with mine a time or two. After all, it's supposed to be the hands down best! When you can't shoot a coyote at 500 yards on a flat snowy field you could run the piece of junk over with your pickup!! 500 yards! It's a Swaro for hell sake! Still, nobody elses would iether, so...

Of course, I am much interested in the Zeiss after Lens review. If accuracy at small targets in the flat is what you need, this one supposedly has the tightest divergence. Still, you give up 500 yards...

How about if you find the next great thing for us. Unfailing ranges to 2k for $500 with an inclinometer.

I have used my Leica 1200 LRF for years and love it! I have been told the new 1200 CRF is even better!!! Don't have any experince with the Zeiss... NJS

Tikka Lover,
You definately got a bad Swaro. Mine has been absolutely awesome. I got good repeatable readings on Elk at 1600 to 1700 yards while testing it (yet again) just last week. Almost every source I've checked agrees that the Swaro is the best. See Longrangeshooting.com's write up. John Burns reviews them in his "How to Shoot Beyond Belief" 3 disc set and echos the same thing. He had several there and said the Swaro was the one to go with.
On a personal note: the 112 you sold me is great. I've yet to get my hands on any 210 grain Bergers but I put a moderate load of A3100 in it with 180 Ballistic tip and headed to the range. 3 shots, 1 hole, testing over. I'm shopping for a Nightforce to put on her now. Just a matter of choosing a reticle and I think Grit may have swayed me to go with the NP-R1.
Glad to hear things are going well for you (except for the bum Swaro) Try another one, you won't be disappointed. If you like we can go out and do some ranging, and shooting.:D

Tikka,
Gotta say the Swaro will go a mile+ around here.

In North Dakota, sunshine, and snow, they are all ****.

Sorry, don't have anything on the two you're asking about other than the researh I did showed the Swaro the hands down winner for distance.

Good luck! Let me know what you find out.

I have the new Zeiss and while the farthest reading I've got out of it has been about 1480 yards... mine has been able to read 1400 yards in direct cloudless mid-day sun over snow - but I'm in Nevada not North Dakota. :D Over the snow readings where at about 9800ft elevation. Maybe the thin air helped?

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.