Which Vortex scope?

dakotamike

So I recently picked up a newer Sendero in 300WM. I have decided to either top it with a 4-16x44 or a 6-24X50 Vortex HS-T or PST. I have had people tell me not to go over a 18X scope because of parallax issues. I have never owned a scope above 16X.

For hunting out to 800 yards, I know I would be happy with the 16X, but I question my want for targets well beyond that. Does a guy spend the extra and opt for a FFP and just hunt with it set at 16X or lower? It is always windy here in ND and I use the MOA/MRAD for wind hold off on just about every shot.

My budget is tight, so I can't afford really high dollar optics. The $1000 6-24 FFP PST would really be the maximum funds that I could justify. I also like the positive clicks and the zero stop of the Vortex.

What do you guys do?

There is no parallax issues with the Vortex scopes as they have a parallax adjustment knob on the left side. You can adjust to get the scope parallax free very quickly at any range and on any power.

I have a 4-16 HSLR FFP on a custom 30-06 and like it. Now building a 300 WM and am going to use the 6-24 HSLR FFP on it with the XLR reticle. The HS has a capped windage knob and 1/2 MOA elevation adjustment which works well for a hunting rifle.

The scopes you mention would work well

I was just in one of our local sporting goods stores today and I was looking at the HS-T 4x16x44. Its a really nice scope for the money...I don't think the 6x24x50 is out yet in the HS-T....
Viper HS-T 6-24x50 Riflescope
**Available Summer 2014**

But looking at the reticle in the MOA verison(4x16) its got 30 MOA in the reticle itself. For me this will be my scope of choice when it hits the market (the 6x24) that is being everything is the same in quality as there LR models. I have the 4x16x50 LRMOA model now and its a really good scope. The reticle left me a little less liking since it does not have much for sub-tensions but the quality and internal adjustments that are repeatable on the scope sold me on this scope. I have it on a 300 ultra mag and it woks great. But I'm in the process of getting a 7mag built and I will buying the 6x24 when it hits the market. Probally will do a scope swap and put the 6x24 on the 300 depending on what I like shooting more. I'm relizing the 300 burns a hell of a lot powder compared to the 7mm. But that's another story... The 6x24 get my vote in the HS-T.

Also live in nd and love that wind. I just picked up a vortex 4-16 hs with bdc reticle and so far I really like it. Nice build quality. 24 moa per turn is nice with zero stop. Clear optics and all for 600 dollars. Ffp vs. Sfp is up to you. Do some research on the 2 and see what would work best for u. For hunting I like a Sfp.

I recently switched from Leupold to Vortex 4-16x44 HS BDC reticle , the scope is a tad heavier than what I am used to but it is an awesome scope , I may sell my other Leupold and put a 2.5-10x44 on my sheep gun , just not sure if I need the parallax adjustment for 600yard shots. I like the BDC reticle for quick shots ,and then dialing my elevation for shots I have time for , they track really good , and I ordered a custom turret label ,and it is spot on so now I have the best of 3 worlds sort of speak.

Thanks for all of the replies. Looking like I will just wait for the 6-24 HS-T to become available. I may wait and try to pick up a used PST from one of the fine folks on this sight. Thanks for the help. gun)

You can get a PS-T ffp on here used for probably around $800. I had one and it was a really good scope for the money. If you could stomach the extra couple of hundred, I would buy the PS-T in ffp. Until recently I had both the 4-16 and the 6-24 in ffp. I had no complaints about either scope, I had just been saving up for a really long time for a NF. Honestly, there will come a time when I'm sure I will miss the FFP that they had. I used the 4-16 on my AR for coyote hunting and NEVER dialed, I always used the reticle for holdover because it was FFP. The 6-24 I had on my 7 mag for longer range shooting. Personally, for shooting over 500 yards I like magnification. The PS-T line offers good glass quality, zero stop, illumination (which I used frequently). It's a good value and you will be glad you bought it.gun)

Cameralandny.com has the Vortex pst first focal plain with the ebr- 1 mrad reticle in 6-24x50 for $799. I don't think you can find a better scope for the money.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.