Which scope Vortex or Zeiss

midwesthunter

I was about to purchase a Vortex 6-24x50 Viper HS-T retails $629 Then I just found a Zeiss MC Conquest Rifle Scope 6.5-20x 50mm on sale for $599 reg $849. Anyone have any experience with the two? Looking on input on which would be the better scope.

THERE IS NO COMPARISON. The Zeiss is far superior.. Bruce Ventura is on this forum from time to time and is very well informed on optics. PM him or have him chime in.

I wouldn't call the Zeiss far superior. It may have better glass but that is about its only advantage. The Zeiss does not have the warranty that Vortex offers. The Zeiss only has 45 MOA of elevation while the Vortex has 65 MOA. The Zeiss also only has a 1" diameter tube while the Vortex has a 30mm and will be more robust. The Vortex also has more eye relief and larger magnification range. The Zeiss lacks zero stop but the Vortex comes with brass washers to install your own zero stop. Looks to me like the Vortex is the winner here.

I wouldn't call the Zeiss far superior. It may have better glass but that is about its only advantage. The Zeiss does not have the warranty that Vortex offers. The Zeiss only has 45 MOA of elevation while the Vortex has 65 MOA. The Zeiss also only has a 1" diameter tube while the Vortex has a 30mm and will be more robust. The Vortex also has more eye relief and larger magnification range. The Zeiss lacks zero stop but the Vortex comes with brass washers to install your own zero stop. Looks to me like the Vortex is the winner here.
I've been called out, so I'll comment. This a classic "optics vs features" argument.

The Conquest scope has substantially better contrast than the Viper. At 20X the Conquest image tends to pop out at you, while the Viper image usually looks a little dull or even hazy by comparison. The loss of contrast is due to inadequate glare management in the design and is especially noticeable above 20X magnification. Glare is not a big issue at the range because the sun is usually at your back. When hunting, however, you can easily find yourself facing a setting or rising sun. In this case bad glare can totally obscure the image at high magnification. These scopes should compared side-by-side when facing the sun to appreciate the difference.

While the Viper has more features, some of the benefits are debatable. The 30 mm tube offers more adjustment range, but a 30 mm tube is not necessarily more robust than a 1" tube. The Vortex warranty is the best in the industry, but then Viper return rates appear to be high, so there is a greater chance that you will need to experience their "excellent customer service". I am always concerned when return rates appear to be higher than a couple of percent because the failure can happen during a hunt, which is costly regardless of the manufacturer's warranty. Vipers tend to vignette or partially obscure the image at the lowest magnification when the elevation adjustment is set to within 5-10 clicks of the limit. Other manufacturers limit the adjustment range to prevent vignetting. Finally, the Viper zero stop is not precise. It stops the turret near the zero, but rarely on the zero. The shooter usually still has to look at the turret knob and rotate it to the exact zero position. If you still have to look at the knob when returning to zero, there are other methods of reliably getting a turret back to zero (when there is no zero stop).

I'll also mention that Vortex offers a wider selection of reticles, and especially MOA/MOA and mil/mil combinations, which is a real benefit in my opinion.

So, which one is better depends on the buyer's priorities with respect to optics vs features. I consider the Vipers to be better range scopes than hunting scopes, and that opinion reflects my priorities. In both cases, you get what you pay for.

Thanks for the info, I am going to spend some more time thinking about everything before I make my decision. I really like the vortex MOA/MOA retical.

I have a viper pst ffp 4x16 on my 6.5 Creedmoor also have a ziess conquest on my 270 win both are good scopes but to my eyes I can't tell the difference in glass between the two

I agree with Bruce on the optics clarity. It is my experience that Zeiss is more superior than Vortex (at least the mid to lower end Vortex scopes) That being said, I have used both Zeiss and Vortex customer service and there is no comparison.... Vortex has the best customer service I have seen. I sent a scope back that was not tracking to Vortex and had it back the next week. I sent my Zeiss Conquest back and it took 29 weeks to make it back to me. Great customer service is BIG for me
JMO

I own both of these scopes. I like them both but, for different reasons. Yes the Vortex has a great warranty, I had a reticle problem with mine sent it in and received a new scope three days latter and I have never had a problem since. I have no experience with Zeiss's warranty for I have never had a problem with the scope... Comparing the glass is real easy, in low light there is no question that the Zeiss is better, no questions, hands down, better glass. The Vortex is not bad, just not as good as the Zeiss. Where the Vortex shines is in the features. The Zeiss will not Zero @ 100yds on my 6.5x284 with 20moa tapered bases so if the adjustment range is a big deal you might want to do some calculations before you make a purchase. They are both great scopes! I have never had a problem with the tracking and they both seem to handle recoil with no issues. It just depends on what you are going to use it for. My Vortex sits on a 15 lb custom built 6.5x284. I do use it for hunting but when I know the hikes will not be a 6mi & 2500ft elevation climb. I think that is a perfect place for that scope and see no reason to change it. I have my Zeiss on a custom 8 1/2 lb 7mm RUM and you could not pay me enough to take that scope off that gun!! That is my elk hunting gun and it balances and carries perfect. That scope is great for hunting the 6x still has a great field of view and lets in enough light that it works in the timber and you are set up for that cross canyon shot if the need rises. Well I hope I added to the confusion... either way you are going to get a great scope.
Good Luck,

Having looked through both before...I ended up with the Zeiss..wasn't close IMO. Ill take glass over features all day long.

I own both scopes and like both. I have been buying Vortex for the last few years (we have a local dealer who gives me great prices) but am going to going back to zeiss.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.