Which scope?

mtank

I'm in need of a new scope for my Remington 700 7mm. I've narrowed it down to 3 brands. Leupold Vx6 3x18x50, Zeiss HD5 3x18x50 or 5x25x50, or Nightforce SHV 4X16 OR 5X25. Of the 3 I've only looked through a Zeiss as I have a HD5 5x25 w/rapid 800 reticle on my A-Bolt 30-06. The gun will be a hunter not just a bench gun. The reticle option on the Nightforce makes me a Lil nervous because I've had zero dealings w/it. Any & all suggestions wanting, needed, & appreciated & no I wouldn't ignore a fourth choice but the other 3 are already such good choices it makes my head hurt.
Thanks,
Matt

Rick Richard

I have Zeiss, NF and Leupold and any one is a good choice depending on the application.

For long range and durability it is hard to beat the NF, however it is heavy and may not be as good of a choice for trekking through the mountains. In this case, I would select something in the 3 - 18 X range with 1 inch tubes (Leupold)

For an all around performer, I would select the Zeiss. Good glass, light weight and balances well on a lighter platform. I would select something in the same power range as mentioned before with the Lockable Turrets. That will get you out to any ethical shooting distance on game.

Rogmay

Not sure about NF warranties because I've never owned one, I would question Zeiss warranties if you plan to own for a long time, and Leupold, well you can drop them off a cliff, drag them behind your truck and Leupold will still take care of you!

mtank

I had to send my Zeiss back once & customer service was top notch. Problem was fixed & scope has worked flawlessly since. Which is exactly how I heard Leupold service works lol. The Zeiss would be the lightest since its the only option I listed w/a 1"tube but if the best optics weigh a few ounces more I'm not going to bicker.

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.