• Athlon ares btr gen 2 4.5-27x50

Votes: 5 12.2%

• Total voters
Vortex, a Chinese company....
From their website....
One Vortex Drive
Barneveld, Wisconsin 53507

Simply put, that is not China.

That said, they have product made in China, Japan, USA, and so on.

My understanding of the optics business is most develop requirements and bid them out to optics companies. Leupold and most of the euro makers seem to do more in-house, but that is not really visible to the public. Honestly, due to the NDA's, we have no idea where this stuff is made.

The problem with glass is you and I could do the Pepsi challenge on 5 scopes and both not pick the most expensive one as best, or the same one as best. Sorry.

If I had $1200, would I save til I could buy the Tract? No, I would buy a used or good deal new Vortex and see what I think...if ng, I would jump to a Chonus, if still wanting, jump to the Tract. I think I would be happy at Vortex.

One thing missed in this conversation is that optics, due to their outsourced nature should be bought from a reputable, long standing company. If Vortex introduces a crap optic, they are going to service their way out of it. What will Tract do? What will Athlon do? or Riton? Or Maven? They are all making good optics by similar supply base, but I can see it being harder for Vortex to bail on me, change their name and pop up in 3 months as Jimmy optics. For that matter, what will Nikon do in 5 years on their lifetime warranty stuff?

All that said, I own the Vortex PST Gen 2 5-25x. It is the best glass I have ever looked through. Does it still leave me wanting more? Sometimes, but this is rare and never has affected the shot. I just wish the numbers weren't next to the center post.

Are S&B, Kahles, Nightforce better? I sure hope so. How much better? I don't know.

With $1100 in my hand, I'm looking at these scopes that are listed..plus the super sniper. I think I would search for a used chronos or go with the Vortex.

Vortex, a Chinese company

I don't think this is correct. Most of their optics are manufactured in the Philippines. They now have some lower tier stuff like the Strike Eagle that are made in China though.

They are actually a small VETERAN owned company in Wisconsin.

1597935657832.png

From their website....
One Vortex Drive
Barneveld, Wisconsin 53507

Simply put, that is not China.

That said, they have product made in China, Japan, USA, and so on.

My understanding of the optics business is most develop requirements and bid them out to optics companies. Leupold and most of the euro makers seem to do more in-house, but that is not really visible to the public. Honestly, due to the NDA's, we have no idea where this stuff is made.

The problem with glass is you and I could do the Pepsi challenge on 5 scopes and both not pick the most expensive one as best, or the same one as best. Sorry.

If I had $1200, would I save til I could buy the Tract? No, I would buy a used or good deal new Vortex and see what I think...if ng, I would jump to a Chonus, if still wanting, jump to the Tract. I think I would be happy at Vortex.

One thing missed in this conversation is that optics, due to their outsourced nature should be bought from a reputable, long standing company. If Vortex introduces a crap optic, they are going to service their way out of it. What will Tract do? What will Athlon do? or Riton? Or Maven? They are all making good optics by similar supply base, but I can see it being harder for Vortex to bail on me, change their name and pop up in 3 months as Jimmy optics. For that matter, what will Nikon do in 5 years on their lifetime warranty stuff?

All that said, I own the Vortex PST Gen 2 5-25x. It is the best glass I have ever looked through. Does it still leave me wanting more? Sometimes, but this is rare and never has affected the shot. I just wish the numbers weren't next to the center post.

Are S&B, Kahles, Nightforce better? I sure hope so. How much better? I don't know.

With $1100 in my hand, I'm looking at these scopes that are listed..plus the super sniper. I think I would search for a used chronos or go with the Vortex.

A vast majority of Vortex products ARE made in China. The last one you want to ask about a company is the company itself. Now, let's back up a bit...... I NEVER said, or knocked Vortex scopes! The ONLY thing I said is that they no long provide the same value they did before "DUE TO NEW PRODUCT OFFERINGS ON TODAYS MARKET! For you not to investigate the quality and price of these new products may cost you money. That's all I said, that's all I meant. The rest is up to you.

A vast majority of Vortex products ARE made in China. The last one you want to ask about a company is the company itself. Now, let's back up a bit...... I NEVER said, or knocked Vortex scopes! The ONLY thing I said is that they no long provide the same value they did before "DUE TO NEW PRODUCT OFFERINGS ON TODAYS MARKET! For you not to investigate the quality and price of these new products may cost you money. That's all I said, that's all I meant. The rest is up to you.
Well, I'm in luck then as I have a Meopta 3-18 on order.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts