Which Scope?

frazierw

I just bought a Savage Long Range Hunter .300 Win Mag with Weaver rail. I am now in the market for a scope. The price needs to be under 1500, and I would prefer a scope with a turret rather than a hold over scope. I have been eyeing the Zeiss Conquest HD5 5-25x50 but I'm concerned with the amount of adjustability because of the 1" tube. Thanks for your input! gun)

Last edited:
I just bought a Savage Long Range Hunter .300 Win Mag with Weaver rail. I am now in the market for a scope. The price needs to be under 1500, and I would prefer a scope with a BDC rather than a hold over scope. I have been eyeing the Zeiss Conquest HD5 5-25x50 but I'm concerned with the amount of adjustability because of the 1" tube. Thanks for your input! gun)

I thought BDC were hold overs?

I would look at the actual adjustments instead of assuming a 1" tube doesn't adjust enough. Besides a canted base is always an option. Wait I'm confused, you want a bdc but you also want to dial your dope? Doesn't zeiss offer a 1000yd reticle?

I meant I would rather have turrets than use a hold over reticle. I have read that with the 1" scope and the zero stop on the conquest you only get 16.5 MOA

If weight isn't a concern I would look for a used nf here. If weight is an issue I'd take a look at the new razors Lh or leupold vx6. I'm anxious to hear about those razors. You have a good budget. You shouldn't have any problems finding what you want.

It would be wise to decide what style of reticle appeals to you.

I would get a 20 moa rail on it. I Nightforce SHV or used Nightforce NXS is well within your budget. 5.5x20 would work well on that rig. I almost bought the LRH and opted for the Bear Hunter instead. With a 20 moa rail and a scope with a 30mm or 34mm tube you should have no problem going beyond 1000. If you want a FFP scope look at Burris XTR II SCR or the Bushnell line up. As Feenix mentioned SWFA SS are also very good.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.