• Vortex Viper PST gen 2 FFP 5-25x50

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • Meopta Optika 6 FFP 4.5-27x50

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • Athlon ares btr gen 2 4.5-27x50

Votes: 5 12.2%

• Total voters

Bigeclipse

Looking at these 3 scopes. Obviously reliability/repeatable tracking is highest need, but after that it would be clarity and how the reticle looks at low light without illumination just incase of failure. How well does the illumination work? Warranty. All are about the same price so not really any advantage there. Thanks!

I picked up one of these Demo Zeiss V4's and really like it optically compared to the 1st gen viper HST.
The windage turret is a little different but the clicks seem positive and I really like the zero stop on the V4 much better than the system that is on my 1st gen's. Positive stop, not turn past and back!

Worth a look!

Seems you're looking at 30mm tube FFP, I'd put Sightron SIII 6-24 FFP on your list, phenomenal glass and tracking. Just sold an MOA SFP version as I need mils but broke my heart a little to do so. Given your list though I'll cast my vote for the Vortex, only because it's the one I know the most about. SIII is same price range and trumps all IMO.

I'm a Vortex fan and have the 3-15x44 PST Gen 2, but I would be inclined to try the Meopta. They come with a nice throw lever and I think they have a much better zero stop mechanism.
Would love to compare the glass of the two side by side. If Meopta glass is close to Zeiss glass, that would be a big plus. I have a Zeiss Conquest and the glass on it is without doubt better than the glass on a Vortex PST.

I'm a Vortex fan and have the 3-15x44 PST Gen 2, but I would be inclined to try the Meopta. They come with a nice throw lever and I think they have a much better zero stop mechanism.
Would love to compare the glass of the two side by side. If Meopta glass is close to Zeiss glass, that would be a big plus. I have a Zeiss Conquest and the glass on it is without doubt better than the glass on a Vortex PST.
Does your vortex hold zero and track well?

Does your vortex hold zero and track well?
Yes. I have a Gen1 and Gen2. That's the main reason I like them. They track very well. I have a 6-24x50 Gen 1 on a 300 RUM that made a 865 yard shot on an antelope. Been on the rifle 5 years and has been shot quite a bit.
My only issue is the zero stop on the Gen 2, while a hard stop design, it is just a little finicky to get set up and has to be setup while the rifle is being zeroed.

Hands down the meopta in my opinion I bought an optika 6 awhile back and have put it through the paces good glass tracks very well I have no issues with it just a little heavy but thats a small price to pay talk to Doug at cameraland they always do better pricing over the phone just mention this forum

I've got two PST Gen II scopes and I like everything about them. They hold zero and track well. The hardest part about the zero stop is that you usually have to adjust it a couple of times to get it exactly where you want it...just as they recommend in their manual.

I have the Optika6 FFP 4.5-27x50 NON-Illuminated that I got from Cameraland a few months ago It is a LOT of scope for the money. Tracks and the glass is good, not Swaro/Zeiss/N.F. good, but in my opinion a step up from the other 2 you listed. I will get another Optika6

Yes. I have a Gen1 and Gen2. That's the main reason I like them. They track very well. I have a 6-24x50 Gen 1 on a 300 RUM that made a 865 yard shot on an antelope. Been on the rifle 5 years and has been shot quite a bit.
My only issue is the zero stop on the Gen 2, while a hard stop design, it is just a little finicky to get set up and has to be setup while the rifle is being zeroed.
That sounds awful lol.

Just offering a pro tip....by design, I agree...pita! You can transfer readings. That is, if zero Is 0.7 Mils up, you can zero by adjusting the turret, remember that reading. Turn back to the stop.Rip the turret off and loosen it all up. Dial 0.7 Mils. Put it back together and you are set. I did it this way, but also see the value in following the directions!

Meopta would be my choice of the 3 you suggest. I don't own any of those you listed but have looked through Or used them. Guys in my hunting club own those scopes. I'm completely un-impressed with Vortex and the athalons are decent but Meopta just seems better in glass and function to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.