Which rifle would you take into this situation?

East money decision for me.I have assess to a 454Casual, 50BMG, Beowulf and a few other big rounds but the 1300 Winchester would get the nod!The chamber would be loaded with 00 buck and the mag with regular federal foster slugs.
The main reason the 12ga would get the nod is simply this=Familiarity.Growing up in SE Mn I cut my teeth on this gun and have used it extensively for deer,I know the action and am confident in its reliability.I can accurately unload the 1300 12ga pump faster than most could get off their second round in most firearms!
I know you asked for a rifle so the 50 Beowulf upper on a Colt lower would be my second choice but it would be a distant second! If I was more familiar with the Guide gun in 45-70 it would work but when chit happens fast what you need most is what you can shoot without thinking about it and the 1300 12ga is just that fer me.

Getting out there to 200 yards with a lot of the listed I would think would be next to impossible (I THINK). I have no experience with the real biguns.

As for me I'd go with a .300 rum with some very large horse style pills.

I am going to go against the grain here for a couple reasons.

I would take a Ruger Bearcat 22LR pistol with the 60 Gr Aguila loads for a couple reasons.

1. I only plan on shooting the guy with me in the knee. A 22 will work fine for that.

2. Anything else is too **** heavy, as I am running away in my Nikes while the bear chomps on the guy with the bum knee.

Remember this motto: "Old age and treachery will always beat youth and enthusiasim!"

BH

Why no mention of the 375 H&H, Huh?

The 300gr Winchester Silver Tip bullet moving at a good clip sure looks like it would do the job. Even from a #1, one at a time.

However, I do recall the time I had to go into an ancient overgrown apple orchard after a wounded yote. For a moment that scrawny sick starved wounded yote w/glowing eyes was MUCH larger than it should have been. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I've never been to Africa so I just know what I read; but a 300# black bear and an African Lion seem like two completly different animals---requiring two different guns. For the bear, Rem 1100 and a tube full of slugs or a rifle would be my semi auto -06 with some big heavy (read bone crushing)bullets...for the lion, 375, 416, or 458 double rifle (and a bible).

I have a video of some guys shooting a wounded lion but I do not know how to attach it. The lion gets some revenge before he gives it up.

Shawn,

Im riding with you, Good ole 870 marine magnum 12 ga slugs any critter that can take 7 of em, I give!

AJ aint no way in $#@& Id trust my life to a 45-70.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts