Which would you trust

I have a shim (you can use a nut) that fits on top of the flats of the rear bolt raceway, then sit a small level on top of the shim.
Then rotate the scope reticle to a plumb bob.

Important! As mentioned earlier check bubble levels by rotating 180° on a flat clean surface. It should read the same both ways.

Savage action
20190221_055339.jpg
20190221_055355.jpg
Remington action
20190221_055500.jpg
20190221_055556.jpg

Scope cant drives me nuts. I'd trust your level on the bases as others have said. I use a Wheeler Engineering kit/Fat Wrench levels and I've found that elevation turret caps are not always true and reliable, so I stopped using them as a reference.

The other thing I've found is that just when I think I have everything level and then shoulder the rifle to check eye relief, etc., the scope looks like it's still canting left. Everybody'd cheek weld is different, I guess.

Nice 700 VLS. Does yours have the fatter beaver-tail stock or is it the older conventional one? I had one of the latter ones chambered in .22-250. Bought it new in 1996 for $369.00! Like a fool, I sold it.

Remember to rotate the level 180° to make sure it reads the same facing both ways.

This is very important. Also check both levels to make sure they agree. if they do, then you can trust ether one.

With both levels agreeing, you now need to find a flat machined surface (Like the guide rails in a Remington) to level the action. then use a plum line or project the recital on the wall with a plum line on it to level the scope. If there are no flat machined surfaces on the top of the action I use this level on the barrel to verify the level of the rifle.

https://www.btibrands.com/product/professional-retical-leveling-system/

I prefer shining a flash light through the scope backwards (Shine the light in the objective/front of the scope and project the recital image on the wall. The room needs to be darkened and you will need a door frame or the plum line. This gives you a optical alignment. This is done only after you make sure that the rifle is surely level and cant move while setting the scope level. If it does move the level clamped on the barrel will show this and you can re adjust the rifle.

I don't recommend using any surface on the scope because there can be error. Level the rifle and then level the recital optically.

J E CUSTOM

The way I see it leveling off your guide rails or the back of the receiver will not necessarily put the scope barrel relationship in perfect alinement.
Take a remington receiver for example if the screw holes for mounting the scope and the bases/rings are not perfectly centered on the receiver when the receiver is leveled it will put the center line of the scope off the center line of the barrel.
So the scope can still be leveled but not with the center line of the barrel.
Which would put you in the same position as a person that levels the scope to how they hold the gun.

Nice 700 VLS. Does yours have the fatter beaver-tail stock or is it the older conventional one? I had one of the latter ones chambered in .22-250. Bought it new in 1996 for $369.00! Like a fool, I sold it.

Ya it has the wider beaver-tail stock. I like it cause it's not to wide, just a touch a wider than a normal stock. I got mine in 06.

idcwby

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.