How Would You Handle With This Situation?

dok7mm

I thought I had sold a NIB item, at a great price reduction, to a well known member with a very good trader history. I also reduced the price by $50 and gave him a week, at his request, to send payment of personal check or USPS M.O., his choice.

On June 19, he PM'd that he would send payment by USPS Express Mail (2 day) on the 19th.

As I was going out of town on June 26, I contacted him on June 23 saying the payment hadn't arrived and I needed his shipping address to get it ready to send.

He replied "Remind me again? LOL" and "I sent it to you. hmmm I sent it Express".

On June 25, I told him it hadn't shown up yet, but if he had used USPS Express, he should be able to track it. On the 26th, he said it was in Portland. On the 29, it was still in Portland and I asked him to send me the tracking # so I could track it from my end. THAT WAS THE LAST COMMUNICATION FROM HIM and no payment ever showed in last 8 days.

A scammer? I doubt it with his history.
Someone that was short of cash and got carried away over his head, that sounds much more likely, but I would think he would have the cajones to let me know he's broke and there would be no hard feelings from me.

I was a bit leary when all other PO's were closed for Juneteenth, then he wouldn't forward his tracking # + stopping communication ( when he was on LRH everyday). If a payment happens to get lost, it's pretty simple to cancel check or m.o. and start over with seller, that wasn't mentioned.

I've always shared tracking # back & forth on all my sold and purchased trades and never had a problem with any of the "good guys" on LRH, until today.
I don't feel well about sharing his user name. He can be aware though, it was shipped to a good member today.

I would continue with trying to contact him. I had a very similar situation in which the fellow I was dealing with got banned from the site. Luckily, he found a previous post where I had inserted a phone # to call me at. He made good on the trade. A multitude of things could have happened to prevent contact/communication. Best of luck on the outcome.

Seems like you made a legitimate effort and waited as long as you were comfortable. If the payment somehow arrives after all this time, just return it to him since the item is no longer available. I don't think a reasonable person would fault you for the actions you took, especially considering how flaky forum buyers can be, even if this particular forum is generally good.

Seems like you made a legitimate effort and waited as long as you were comfortable. If the payment somehow arrives after all this time, just return it to him since the item is no longer available. I don't think a reasonable person would fault you for the actions you took, especially considering how flaky forum buyers can be, even if this particular forum is generally good.
Sounds like you did all you can do and give him plenty of time too do his part , no fault of yours.

Your good Dok7mm. You tried to correspond and he/she stopped. Only thing that could warrant that would be hospitalization, dementia, or something worse. You tried to help him/her out on a mutual agreement and he/she dropped the ball. Personally, I would just let it go. Doesn't sound like a scam but, never know until it happens.

Was asked to delete his name…
I wouldn't do that at all. Circumstances arise that we can't control. A lot of older folks on this forum and unforeseen health issues arise suddenly. Covid is still out there you know. Cancer is too. Some people have trouble responding to adverse conditions, especially when it's a surprise!! Lack of communication could be one of them because they don't want to be felt sorry for themselves. You could give them a "Neutral" review under buyer-"Lost communication after agreed purchased-Lost deal for me after marking item SOLD". This post is an assumption just as is the original.
As for a humorous approach-"His wife caught him on PayPal again" 😁

Definitely no fault on your end. Like you I always give tracking number as soon as possible just to give the seller some piece of mind.
As others alluded to its possible some type of emergency popped up but you mentioned that they were on the forum in the meantime which is strange.
As Rhett Crider said maybe just give a neutral feedback and explain the situation there just as a heads up to possible sellers in the future.

Screenshot_20220710-133444-343.png

It is a tough break. Things like these is the reason I never do transaction, just don't have the faith in men anymore like I used to, until I meet them face to face. So many ways to get ripped off.
I wouldn't necessarily call this one a rip off, but definitely didn't go as should have. I've made 40 plus transactions, $50-$2000 plus and all have been good. Have had the opportunity to meet several members and we stay in contact w/ each other somewhat. I always offer my cell number and email address in the "PM" stages to make it easier to communicate w/ each other and it works for me. Communication and kinda getting to know each other seems to be the best for me also. But...........knocking on wood right now, a little luck may be involved. "Well Known" members w/ decent post counts and trader history mean a lot too.