Which would you trust

The level of the rifle matters very little. The consistence of the scope level is what matters. Get the rifle to sit well in your shooting position (likely canted for comfortable fit). Set the scope in the rings and shine a flashlight through to objective lense which will project your reticle onto a wall. Hang a plumb line of some kind on the wall. Align the reticle to the plump line and tighten the rings. Tighten a scope level to the scope with the reticle aligned to the plump line. When you shoot, make sure this level is centered regardless of the cant of the rifle.

The only time you need the rifle to be more level than not is if shooting strong side/ weak sides but if only shooting strong side the rifle could be canted 45 degrees and it would'n't matter. In fact your return to level will be much more instinctive if the rifle is NOT level but canted to fit your shoulder/body.

It is also important to remember the reticle is the important part to get level and NOT the scope cap or outside of the scope body.

Last edited:
7331E373-AE56-4DD9-B79D-F3BD28F6AC01.jpeg

The level of the rifle matters very little. The consistence of the scope level is what matters.

I agree with the method of projecting the reticle to level the scope, but disagree that rifle level does not matter. You must have the reticle and action both level, or square. If not, at distances, the cant in your rifle/action will increasingly throw the bullet to the opposite direction (canted right, throw left).

I agree with the method of projecting the reticle to level the scope, but disagree that rifle level does not matter. You must have the reticle and action both level, or square. If not, at distances, the cant in your rifle/action will increasingly throw the bullet to the opposite direction (canted right, throw left).
100% agree![/QUOTE]

100% agree

Yup!

Step one: I use the flashlight method, and sight through the muzzle (bolt removed of course). Rotating the scope until the shadow of the reticle bisects the bore, I can now be confident they are COINCIDENT (the scope is directly over the bore).

Now I need a datum (usually a tall target installed with a level) to index the scope level.

Step two: I hang a tall target plumb, set the rifle on bags, and align the reticle with the tall target. Now I know the scope and bore are coincident with the world, so I can now snug down the scope level.

This of course is all meaningless if the scope's reticle and erector system are not aligned. Not all of them get installed perfectly.

Shooting the tall target, while mechanically adjusting elevation confirms all is aligned as it should be!

Last edited:
I've been in the camp which believes the scope needs to be plumb with the action. Lately I'm thinking that this might not be as critical as I think it is. Over on Snipers Hide this topic is discussed on a regular basis.

Some well known shooters set their rifle up this way. Those that compete at an exact/constant distance can dial the scope to zero the weapon system and that should work fine.

One example that has me thinking that this might be alright is when considering the sight location on a bazooka or RPG. That sight is on the side of the weapon. Maybe the reason that system works is because the sight isn't lined up to cause the projectile to hit exactly where it's pointing, but rather to the side. By the same amount as the sight is offset from the bore. In other words the sight is parallel with the bore.

I have a hard time trusting the wheeler. There has got to be a better system for leveling your rifle.I agree with the plum bob on the scope.

and sometimes base holes are drilled off center.
putting a scope parallel to a plumb bob does not ensure the rifle is square.
I would trust the one on the scope bases. The action levels works but sometimes they dont fit right and can be tilted either because the level is too big or too small to make it fit right.

What is everyone using to get the rifle level? Hand Skills likes the flashlight method, what other ways are people using?

idcwby

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.