WHICH ONE IS A BETTER?

Eaglet

Ladies and Gents.
Please give your opinion... Which one is the most consistent brass and which one is the one you would use the most? Some might think one is better, but the other one is a better deal.
Thanks for your input.

eaglet,
I find it hilarous that you listed PMC ,are you trying to make sure that one brand gets no votes ?????????
UB

uncleB,
I remembered the comment fiftydriver made about PMC brass and also I checked some PMC brass my son shot in his 243 Winchester as well as some Federal Brass, well I thought it was very interesting that the PMC was giving me much more for my money, runout was much much better and I thought maybe other folks have had similar experiences. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jb1000br,
Got you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Centre Punch is right! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Truthfully now, I did not even know there was a RWS! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I was just protecting my ignorance when I placed the "Another Brand" option. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Thanks any way.

I don't like the "choose one" requirement. I use most of them and I certainly do not think that Norma is significantly better, or that PMS is junk. The world is full of compromises. This poll should not answer any questions for those that are undecided.

Also, you forgot Federal and Hornady, maybe a few more?

Good hunting. LB

LB,
I respect your opinion. I just tried to... I messed up!
Personally I just wanted to know between Norma and Lapua,
in the process I messed up!

dgnpkp.jpg

Eaglet,
No sweat, you are looking for info and getting it. Maybe create another similar survey with a few more brands, I know some guys who swear by mil-surplus brass for instance.

I would like to see you ask the guys which brand seems to have the longest case-life or which brand will give the most reloads.

Also what fails first on a well-used case - neck splits, primer pocket enlargement, insipient head separation?

Which brand has the most consistent primer pocket dimensions, which is the worst?

Which primers are best - uniformity of dimensions, reliability, cost?

Favorite or preferred brand of cartridge cases?

Won't use brand of cartridge cases?

Only takes people a few seconds to enter with such a simple format. Hell, this is only the internet - we are here for information and entertainment. After you have finished that one, do one on bullets!

BTW, Norma is nice brass but quite expensive compared to Lapua. Lapua is hard to beat.

I find these surveys interesting, thanks for doing this.

Ian M,
Thanks, I appreciate that. I like your ideas. Let's see what we can do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Don't forget the Edsel syndrome. Ask people what they desire, if price were no object, and you get a slanted response. Lapua prices are ridiculous and they have a very limited product line.

Don't believe all the hype about Lapua and Norma, it's just another brand at three times the price. I think some people are kidding themselves into thinking that their groups are 3X better, or that they can expect to get thirty reloads per case, instead of ten.

Yeah, I sometimes use Lapua, and have used Norma, in the past, when it was priced the same as US brands. Now, I can't see where Norma is superior just because the Internet Gurus claim that it is?

I have used WW and RP for close to 40 years and have seen very few instances of poor quality brass. Especially for the casual handloader in a hunting application, this brand snobbery is a little bogus.

The thing that has changed is that at one time, it was easier to buy cases by the box of 20 cases, complete with printed lot numbers on the end flap. Now, buying from Midway, etc. you are buying bulk and cannot determine the assumed consistancy in a box of 100 cases. So, you must buy twice as many as you need and forced to cull this brass by whatever method you deem best?

In this respect, Lapua is (admittedly) ahead of the curve, because boxes of 100 do have a lot number. But, really, for a hunting application, it is a reach to pin a missed animal on inconsistancy in your cases. For the most part, I think the quality of your brass is one of several components; bullets, primers, and powder, and the results measured in thousanths with a dial calipers. Which one is more important? Do we need to hunt with "Match" bullets? "Match" primers, and "Match" brass?

Yeah, I do all that stuff, but when you think about it, considering the human factor, it can get a little silly.

Good hunting. LB

I'm a LR hunter not competitor, most of the time. I dont do any case prep or segragation what so ever. I buy bags of fifty to 100 pieces of brass (usually remington) and as long as I get satisfactory accuracy its fine. For me thats consistant 4-5in three shot groups at 600yds for my carry guns, and under 4in groups at 600yds with the ULR bench gun. Steller accuracy? No. But thats being shot from bipods in the field and as long as they are consistant, with that level of accuracy I can shoot a looonnngg waaayys. Now most shoot better, but as long as they shoot that , there usable. Could I get better groups if I did case prep, sorted, and used Lapua in the cases they make? Absalutely! And if I cared about competing I would, but I get what I need out of them without much trouble.

UncleB,

DO not pass on the PMC brass to quickly. It is very stout brass built to Mil spec dimensions so it will last nearly for ever. Loads need to be adjusted.

I certainly do not use this for my accuracy loads but will say that in the 50 BMG, PMC brass is some of the best out there after it has been prepped on the bench. That and IMI hulls are my preferred choice for the 50 BMG and they will also be used in my upcoming 510 Allen.

WHich by the way I got notice that the donor rifle was shipped and will be here Wednesday of next week, its like christmas in September!!! TO bad I'm to busy to get it accurized and rebarreled to the 510 AM.

Its better brass them most think. IF you want the long life of mil brass but with better quality, the PMC hulls are a pretty good choice.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.