Which is better brass

azrumshooter

I've been shooting ADG brass on my 300 PRC,
Recently was able to buy some Lapua brass, is either better than the other ? Just looking for your experience with each product as to which would be my better choice to use, thanks

Pros and cons
You'll have to be the judge.

Attachments

• EB4FC1AE-42A8-4BBE-8B23-63961C6A06FB.png
    EB4FC1AE-42A8-4BBE-8B23-63961C6A06FB.png
    81.5 KB · Views: 272
ADG brass has different metallurgical properties designed to make it harder. Thus, it takes less powder to reach the same velocities. Lapua brass, if run at moderate pressures, will last a long time. I've heard anecdotal rumors of ADG's primer pockets loosening early, but have not experienced this myself.

I have a 6.5 PRC with a 21" barrel and chose to run ADG with it to make up for some of the velocity loss of a short barrel.

Been using Lapua brass for a while. Never had a neck split, have had primer pocket issues that were caused by me. Lets just say I was turning a 6.5 x55 into a 6.5 284 Norma. CZ 550 action is very strong. It still took about a dozen reloads before pockets went out. No knowledge of ADG. Hope this helps.

ADG brass has different metallurgical properties designed to make it harder. Thus, it takes less powder to reach the same velocities.
Never heard that. Never seen that either. I have seen plenty of loose primer pockets in ADG brass run warm.

I know that Alpha brass has their "OCD" brass (Optimal Case Design w. Optimized Case Head Technology) and is thicker brass throughout the entire case, leading to less case volume and increased pressure with similar charge weights used in other brass.

I have used Hornady and ADG, and have some Lapua to try next. ADG is leaps and bounds better than Hornady. I am looking forward to testing the new Lapua brass this weekend.

I would say lapua is the way to go but i haven't used adg. Seems like peterson is gaining traction as well. I think adg lapua peterson are all gtg. Seems like most of the comp guys are running lapua.

Never heard that. Never seen that either. I have seen plenty of loose primer pockets in ADG brass run warm.

I know that Alpha brass has their "OCD" brass (Optimal Case Design w. Optimized Case Head Technology) and is thicker brass throughout the entire case, leading to less case volume and increased pressure with similar charge weights used in other brass.

I have used Hornady and ADG, and have some Lapua to try next. ADG is leaps and bounds better than Hornady. I am looking forward to testing the new Lapua brass this weekend.
The increased speed in ADG has nothing to do with alloy of the metal, it's the smaller capacity and running higher pressures. It is tougher and would tend to show pressure later than others.

If Alpha had PRC brass I would run it.

The general consensus seems to be that:

ADG is harder, thicker and smaller capacity which is why it hits speed faster. Also highest cost. Excellent quality

Peterson is softer, thicker (also smaller capacity). less $ than ADG and even a little less than Lapua. Excellent quality

Lapua is well, Lapua. It's pretty much the standard to judge by. Lapua is a less $ than ADG, slightly more than Peterson and a lot more than Hornady. a little bigger capacity than ADG & Peterson. I have seen capacities listed similar to Hornady or maybe slightly less. Excellent quality

Hornady is least tough, biggest capacity or or possibly same/similar to Lapua capacity. Lowest case life, most prep and variability and lowest cost. It is decent/good quality but not up to the others standard.

I have Lapua inbound for the 300 PRC I am building and also some on hand for a 6.5 PRC. I have a box of Hornady 300 PRC here so I'll compare that to the Lapua and see. I only have first hand of the Lapua and Hornady.

I have Lapua for several other rifles. I am selling the new stuff I got for my 6.5 CM as I want to try out the Alpha on a new barrel when I finally get that from Bartlein.

Not sure if that helps or not.

I have mixed feelings in ADG brass. I've had to trash 6.5 creed brass from them after only 3 or 4 firings with a load that wasn't very hot at all because the pockets were no longer tight and very loose. To the point where i could nearly seat a primer by hand. But in my 7mm RM i could get 3057 fps with a 180 eld before it started showing pressure but with hornady I could only get 2970 and the pockets seem to be holding well. It's excellent brass as far as quality/consistency. Just don't run it like pressure doesn't exist. I still would have no problem running ADG. Peterson is also excellent. I had 14 firings on some 6.5 creed brass and it was still running strong when I burnt the barrel out. Currently running Lapua so we'll see how I like it but so far I like it.

Stay away from Hornady if you can. Too soft of brass in most cases and you will get only a couple of firings or so before primer pockets are trash. Just my experience.

Thoughts on Starline? I'm using it now neck thickness variation is better than Winchester, but that doesn't say much.

Thoughts on Starline? I'm using it now neck thickness variation is better than Winchester, but that doesn't say much.
Im using starline for my ar-10 308. Seems like it will last a long time only on second loading right now but getting good accuracy and some tough brass almost reminds me of milspec brass. I usually run lapua everything but the ar10 is hard on brass and sometimes lose brass. Didnt want to be losing lapua brass

Im using starline for my ar-10 308. Seems like it will last a long time only on second loading right now but getting good accuracy and some tough brass almost reminds me of milspec brass. I usually run lapua everything but the ar10 is hard on brass and sometimes lose brass. Didnt want to be losing lapua brass

Starline's straight wall cases are very good. I run it in 45-70, 44 mag & 357 mag. It's better than anything else in those cases. Haven't tried their bottle neck cases but I can see in a gas gun it working well, I agree on similar to Lake City military brass.