Which of your guns are really most important?

I live in a small community right next to a large reservoir. There's also several small ponds in the area and the woods close by are full of game. I doubt seriously I'd be running anywhere. Too old and fat to run, too ornery to give up. On my forays out for food, firewood, etc I'd tote my 5.7x28 SBR and my FN FiveseveN on my hip. Pockets hold LOTS of rounds with very little weight. More than capable of killing small to medium game and larger stuff with good shot placement. Not as loud as 5.56.

We had so much fun with the 5 gun thread lets play a new game. Here are the rules: You have a safe full of guns, and not a single round of ammo. You have plenty of bullets, powder, cases, and 1000 each of LRM, LR, SR, 209 and LP primers in your stash. The problem is Society has broken down overnight and you are unsafe at home. You will have to bug out to a remote location with your family in tow. You very well may have to walk a big part of the way with everything you need on both your and your wife's back. You have a wife and two small children that you will have to both protect and provide for. What do you load for and how much? Remember all the other stuff you will have to carry so what is really important to you? I would first choose a 22RF but that's against the rules, you have to load them and you don't have a lot of time.
i would load around 500 for my 6.5 creedmoor and as many 556 in soft point and hollow point as i had time to load . if could only have 1 , it would be the 556,

I live in a small community right next to a large reservoir. There's also several small ponds in the area and the woods close by are full of game. I doubt seriously I'd be running anywhere. Too old and fat to run, too ornery to give up. On my forays out for food, firewood, etc I'd tote my 5.7x28 SBR and my FN FiveseveN on my hip. Pockets hold LOTS of rounds with very little weight. More than capable of killing small to medium game and larger stuff with good shot placement. Not as loud as 5.56.
Oh almost forgot. Takes very little Accurate No. 7 to make it scream. Pound of powder last a long long time.

Just look at what happens in areas that have had this kind of strife: Somalia, Nigeria, etc. " None of you will be any match for roving gangs."
Disagree. Some of us are. Keep in mind, the roving gangs in the US will not be as dedicated or hearty as those in Somalia etc etc.
Like the basin guy, I live in my bug out location. Defendable, big water on one side. 6 neighbors. All of which are friends and shooters. However, they were never as prepared as I would like them to be if we had to stand together. So I've prepared for them and me. Our position will be well kept. My BACKUP bug out location is not accessible by foot. Swim or boat only.

Now, in your theoretical situation, I may suggest, pick a weapon you are very proficient with. That requires light weight ammo. That requires popular ammo, preferably a cartridge that LEO's and military use. For the guys that want the 12 gauge slugs,,, if you encounter a roving gang of fodder, you may very well shoot all the ammo you could carry before you left your driveway. IMO, 223/556 is the best option. To those that say not enough power, remember, snowflakes melt easily.
FMJ would be my pic, for the possibility of disabling multiple bogies with one projectile. And for the possible need of door penetration. Keep in mind, in a life and death situation, if you fight fair, you will likely die. I could go on for hours, but I've got work to do.

And last but not least. On the lighter side, I only saw one post where the correct rifle was picked. The magnanimous Creedmoor. A creedmoor and 1 box of ammo should be enough firepower to take care of every threat within 10 miles!

First of all, I don't have to go anywhere. I already live in a secluded area. As for the weapon, I'd take my Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag and my wife would be touting her Blackhawk .357 Mag. Each with 300 rds. .44-240gr HP and .357-150gr HP. We are more than proficient with them. They are lighter and more convenient than a rifle and have more than sufficient range for an experienced shooter that knows the gun and how to handle it.

Man this is a tough one to wrap my head around since I have loaded ammo for everything.. But if weight is an issue I'd stick with my scoped Rem Model 7 in 222rem and a small Lee loader with components. A couple of backpacks of 25 year bug out emergency food. A couple of rolls of toilet paper. Flint and steel plus a half dozen of those LP cigarette lighters. Empty plastic water bottles. One water boiling pan. Hatchet and machete. 4 blue ripstop tarps. IMHO

Interesting to say the least. This is a long range hunting site. Within it reside what I consider some of the best firearms experts on the planet. Yet, after nearly 24 hrs. not a single person would be willing to take their expensive long range rifle if found homeless and needed to feed and protect their family, simply because they know it wouldn't even make a good tent post when out of ammo. Instead they would take a lightweight carbine in an intermediate range cartridge that they feel they would most likely be able to find ammo for sometime in the future. The rifle would also most likely be a hi cap semi auto. Also, many would also find room for a handgun. Most likely cartridges would be 5.56, .308, 9MM, .40 S&W, .45ACP, and 12ga shotgun. In other words, the most common M&P stuff.The handgun would also most likely be a hi cap semi auto. Out of literally thousands of combinations of firearms and cartridges, these are the ones most would choose in this situation. I find it very enlightening that these are the ones those inside the beltway are trying to ban first. While they sound stupid when they talk, it is really more like dumb like a fox. Thanks for playing, and I hope everyone thinks long and hard about what's going on today.
The .44 mag requires 18-20 grains of Alliant 2400 powder, that's over 330 rds /lb of powder, 1/4 that of my WBY .340 at 70 gr. the .357 uses 14-15 gr of the same, that's over 525 rds /lb. As I stated earlier, I'm already in a secluded area, and at 72 I'm not going anywhere.

No comment - Joe Biden and Congress want all gun owners (criminals included - Not!) to disclose all the guns they possess. This site is probably monitored by the Fed's especially this post since it's set in a Survivalist setting.

No comment - Joe Biden and Congress want all gun owners (criminals included - Not!) to disclose all the guns they possess. This site is probably monitored by the Fed's especially this post since it's set in a Survivalist setting.
Feds already know who has what, who buys, what, who handloads, who does'nt. Who cares?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts