Which new lathe?

JSTAR3006

I'm just looking for honest opinions from the guys who work with lathes on a daily or have been for years. Question is...if you had a budget of $16k for a new lathe only in a 14"X40" size which would you choose out of these brands and why/what would be your determined factors as to why?

Brands looking at:

Jet
Mathews Precision
Lagun
Southbend
Sharp
Monarch

Why are you not looking at Grizzly?
What are you expecting to do with your new Lathe?
Are you just looking at chambering? Muzzle threading?

pallen1067, well....chambering, threading, truing actions, bolt work, etc. But will not only be used for just gunsmithing. I hear so many differences on reviews about grizzly. Love to hear your input on them though!

We've used Grizzly in our shop for years- no major issues.
We use them for everything you mentioned as well as other machining tasks.
The 14 x 40 Gunsmith Lathe G0709 $5795 + 300 Freight, is Excellent! I have one in my personal shop and couldn't be happier... Around 5K....
Very accurate. I use the Viper fixture in the four jaw for chambering, threading, truing receivers, bolt work, etc.....
I decided on the Grizzly via recommendations from older machinists who used them throughout their career.
One of the biggest factors as well, is the fact that they are less money up front. Then you have several thousand you can spend on tooling, instruments, reamers, go, no-go's, bushings, turning tools, lubricants.... The list is endless.

The other question is.....
Will you be using your new Lathe for production, i.e. several hundred chambering jobs per year, or just mostly for yourself as a hobby?

pallen1067, I will definitely keep that in mind! I do like the idea of spending more on quality accessories and or tooling, lubricants, etc. As far as production is concerned eventually yes but I know majority of what I do is more or less hobby/extra income. I live where the majority is farming and have a lot of friends, family that need things done lol.

OK, cool.
Also, what kind of power do you have access to.
Most Lathes require 3 phase... Mine plugs into a normal 110 outlet...
That will be something you want to consider..

Look at the Jet Elite Series or maybe the Precision Mathews. I'd take a machine tool built in Taiwan over one from mainland China any day.. The 'newer' lathes will be metric capable, if that's any concern. Much of the 'older' American iron is not. Besides gunsmithing on a part time basis, my full time job is as a "job shop machinist". Besides setting-up/running the CNCs, I run a 20x96 Summit that was made in Yugoslavia. It's OK, I guess, but it's no Monarch.

shortgrass, that's the reviews I've read as well. I get people are the majority of how well a machine is ran/taken care of but model A machine vs. Model B machine as far as accuracy, precision are different as well. just want an idea of what's been used on a daily basis or has been used and what if any ideas of why someone would like model A vs. Model B etc. I really appreciate input and knowledge from anyone with more years then I have and always willing to seek/ learn more as time passes.

Keep them coming guys! Knowledge means everything! Well to me at least.

Hobbyists and home machinists will have different needs and uses than those of us who use a lathe day in and day out. I buy the best quality available whether new or used. These days there is very little new I would bother with. The lathe needs to work all the time and require very little as far as work above and beyond maintenance.

If you think that you're really picky and want a precision machine, a Monarch 10EE would be a good choice, the difference though is the head stock is long and difficult to work with rifle barrels through the head stock. Rivett is another brand similar but used also.

Another similar machine but with a barrel friendly head stock is the Hardinge HLV-H. Rebuilt and reconditioned, these machine are really excellent for the picky gunsmith.

If you intend to run in the middle of the road, a Sharp 1340 series is a good, reliable lathe. This category will contain a lot of models from various suppliers some made in the same plant but rebranded for another seller.

Be aware that tooling and its related costs can really stack up fast. Don't forget to have oil on hand and stuff to clean up with. If you have to pinch a few pennies for some tooling, look at SHARS. Not the best but not the worst either. Tool holders can be very reasonable when compared to Kennametal...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts