Which Lathe?

time for a few of us to grow up. I don't know Shortgrass from Adam, but we've had more than one conversation off the board here. I can vouch that he seems to know his stuff, and I would never consider him an amateur. Michigan Skip is another that knows his stuff without reading a tool catalog. I figure that these two have close to sixty years experience. Hell of a lot more than me anyway.

My post is not a reflection on anybody posting here (or anywhere). Yet I'm never afraid to ask folks I know that know what they are doing. I still do it today, and I often pass along what I know. Am I a great machinist? My dad would say pretty good, but great? I learned to cut high nickel steels with him standing over my shoulder. Yet he'd ask me about a spindle line on a grinder or a lathe when he needed the knowledge. One would be surprised what a six pack of beer will get you. Yet if you insult the guy, you can expect the same response.

I know machinery. I built machinery for half my life time. I've told more than one person the blunt truth, and got my head bit off. Just laughed at them, and went on. I will not tell you what lathe or mill to buy these days, I gave you that data years ago.
gary

time for a few of us to grow up. I don't know Shortgrass from Adam, but we've had more than one conversation off the board here. I can vouch that he seems to know his stuff, and I would never consider him an amateur. Michigan Skip is another that knows his stuff without reading a tool catalog. I figure that these two have close to sixty years experience. Hell of a lot more than me anyway.

My post is not a reflection on anybody posting here (or anywhere). Yet I'm never afraid to ask folks I know that know what they are doing. I still do it today, and I often pass along what I know. Am I a great machinist? My dad would say pretty good, but great? I learned to cut high nickel steels with him standing over my shoulder. Yet he'd ask me about a spindle line on a grinder or a lathe when he needed the knowledge. One would be surprised what a six pack of beer will get you. Yet if you insult the guy, you can expect the same response.

I know machinery. I built machinery for half my life time. I've told more than one person the blunt truth, and got my head bit off. Just laughed at them, and went on. I will not tell you what lathe or mill to buy these days, I gave you that data years ago.
gary

+1

It doesn't really matter which Lathe a person buys as long as he can use it and it fits his needs.

I would make a recommendation, but would probably get slammed so I will just say that its not the machine but the Craftsman standing in front that makes the most difference.

PS: I do know Shortgrass, and a more Knowledgeable person is hard to find if you have a question.

Most recommendations have been made to assist the OP and that should be all that Is necessary.

My recommendation would be to study as many different Lathes, ask as many questions about different features, and spend the amount you can afford. "simple"

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.